thirteen - we've got spirit

Start from the beginning

I gasp for anything to break the tension. "So um, prom is this weekend."

She turns so fast one of her braids slaps her cheek, she shoves it away quickly. Crossing her arms she says, "And our detentions in two days, what's your point?"

"Aren't girls supposed to be into all that stuff?" I shrug, my face morphing into a smirk, "Then again I forgot that you're not really a girl."

"Rude." She glares at me, but I can see some of the stress from moments before draining out of her. With a patronizing look, Rya mocks, "Stop perpetuating gender stereotypes Trey"

As Rya glances back toward the stage, a grin spreads over her face.

"What?" I start to ask but Rya shushes me as Jackson steps up to the mic.

"Wait, wait, watch this."

Jackson taps the mic, static echoing through the room. Behind the scenes someone hits a button and music swells. It takes me a second to recognize the tune, Can I have this Dance.

Of course it's High School Musical.

"Hey guys," Jackson waves out at the coud. A few people holler back and he grins, "I'm so honored to be your nominee for prom, but the night wouldn't be special without a certain person."

His hands grip the microphone as he walks toward the bleachers. For once his causal nature is stripped away and he looks almost uncomfortable. He takes the steps two at a time until he's back by our friends. Next to me Rya is trying and failing to suppress a smile.

Jackson reaches out a hand as the music softens, "Emery would you go to prom with me?"

I turn just in time to see her eyes sparkle. Her dark skin hides her blush from the crowd, but up close I can see her cheeks redden. She nods vigorously. Jackson pulls her to her feet as the crowd cheers.

"It's about time." Olivia mutters from behind us.

"I did that." A pleased grin flickering across Rya's face as she leans back to whisper to Olivia, "You think there's anyway Jackson would have come up with that on his own."

All of this prom stuff is so complicated. Honestly, I understand being a Super more than I get high school. Everyone seems to think it's supposed to be, I don't know, the most important time of your life.

I don't need to worry about being a Super right now though. I bury my head in my hands. Every time I think I've forgotten my suspension it sneaks back up on me like this.

Flipping my phone open, I tap open a new chat. It takes me just a few seconds to type out the message. Before I can even look away from the screen a response pings through my phone. I wasn't expecting him to respond that fast.

Connor: I don't want to lose you as my training buddy but I'll ask my uncle about the suspension. Either way you'll still have to come train with us sometimes.

Connor: Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll be back on patrol soon.

He's right. I need to move on. Overthinking is the bane of my existence. Doesn't make the past week any easier though.

- Rya -

My room is blessedly silent after the ruckus of school. No one is home, at least no one loud - ie the twins. Instead I'm alone in my room, trying and failing to finish my english essay. It's strange to not have my ever present stalker hovering around me.

After the argument that Ghost and I had I didn't expect him to show up, but I thought he would at least send Ivette. I'm glad she's not here, the house finally feels peaceful without Supers watching me.