𝓈𝒾𝓍

Mulai dari awal

I did the same, repeating their action and held it out to them. An act of respect for an act of respect. It was for Fern. She was the real winner.

A strip of wax being pulled off my leg pulls me out of my thoughts, but I don't react to the pain. Instead, I just sit still, staring at my feet. Completely oblivious to the painful stinging sensation on my legs. 

My prep team must know I'm not feeling so good, as Goldie isn't asking her usual questions about Fin. 

Tears prick my eyes, but I don't know if they're from the physical pain, or the emotional pain, that just keeps on growing. These past few days, I've gotten no break. No break from having to put on a brave face, having to smile and laugh, when all I want to do is break down into tears.

Soon enough they start chatting about their own personal lives and gossip whilst applying product after product onto my face. 

"Oh, have you heard about Tinle?"

"OMG, I didn't know she was pregnant!"

"I can't believe she was talking with her mouth full at my party!"

After what seems like hours, Sequoia arrives and dismisses them, unpacking my dress and completing any adjustments.

First comes the interview, to which I wear a gold, floor-length gown. It's beautiful, as always. But, I can't allow myself to be grateful. If I had taken care of Anson. If I stuck with him. If I stood by his side.... he could have been here. He should be here. Not me.

I look at myself in the floor length mirror, what am I doing? It's all just a game. This isn't who I am. Tears threaten to spill from my eyes and Seqouia takes me into her arms.

"It's okay, love. It'll be all okay. You'll be home by the end of tomorrow, yes?" I nod my head and blink away the water. 

"Yes, yes. I'll be fine." 

She gives me a look of sympathy. The one everyone seems to be giving to me. I hate it. If I'm not known as the Capitol's Princess, then I'm the girl who got reaped with her brother in the same games. The girl who watched her older brother be torn to shreds.

I'm guided through a dark hallway, from where I can see Caesar Flickerman announcing me to the large audience. 

"Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have the pleasure of presenting our beautiful victor, Nerissa Alvaro"

I walk onto the stage, smiling and waving at the crowd below, praying I don't trip. 

The interview consists of Caesar asking me questions and me answering them with scripted replies, but most if it is a blur. The past few weeks have been a blur, everything going through one ear and coming out the other. The endless fake smiles and laughs as tiring as ever. 

I wish Finnick was with me every second. As there was no need for him to come, with Mags in attendance, but he always manages to make me feel better. Always eases my nerves and calms my anxiety. His smile the antidote to my pain. His soft words of affirmation following me everywhere. 

I lay on my back, on the lush Capitol mattress. As comfortable it may be, I can't bring myself to sleep. The monster under my bed that used to haunt me during my younger years terrorizing my mind and heightening my paranoia. Anson's innocent face flashes in my mind. Then Fern's. Then the countless tributes who's lives I ended. 

Oh, how I wish to be back in my brother's arms. For him to protect me and never fail to. For him to protect me although I couldn't protect him. I see his face again. The Minotaur. A life-threatening growl louder than anything I've ever heard. I see blood and torn flesh everywhere. All over the floor. All over the bed. Splatters of red across the ceiling and walls. Screams. His screams. His cried for help. Me. Helpless. Him, even more so. 

I scream so loudly. My shrieks begging for someone to help him. I scream in hope that it's all a dream. A bad dream. None of it is real. No, I'll be home soon. Home to my older brother's delicious fish stew. The sound of him whistling as he stands busy at the stove. His smile and warmth will greet me as I go inside, and he'll give me one of those mellow bear hugs that I complain about so much. A smile forms on my face as I remember his, and I close my eyes in hope of getting some well-needed rest.

➽───────────────────────────────────────❥

I'm back! So, so sorry for the late update! I've just been SO busy with school work. But, the next update will be very soon :)

I've got a lot of ideas for this story, so have been trying to sort out my chaotic mind! But I do have an idea of what's going to happen next and how the story will end :P

Anyway, if you're enjoying it please do tell me! Some feedback would be lovely!!