chapter 2 | pretentious

Train rides are fast but really packed too, especially during this time. A lot of citizens travel to Tokyo because work opportunities in that city are always knocking at doors.

You looked at your phone and checked the time.

Tuesday, 5:15 PM

Suddenly, you felt someone's weight pressing towards you. Turning around quickly, an old woman almost fell to the floor but you immediately catched her.

You noticed how her hands are wrinkly which indicates that she's already old and fragile. The guys who bumped onto her apologized and steadied themselves.

Why are people goofing around in such a small space?

"Are you okay o-basan?"

"Why do you keep bumping onto others?" A guy sitting on the seats gazed at you with his grayish yellow eyes. He laughed holding his phone out, while huffing out the smoke from his cigarette, which supposedly shouldn't be allowed.

He must be the one I bumped into earlier.

"Why are you just staring instead of letting an elderly sit down on your seat?" You said calmly. It is a common gesture to always let elder people sit down first in train or bus rides.

"Tch." The guy stood up beside you, not even offering the old lady to sit down. So you were the one that guided her to take a seat.

"Are you always this kind of person?" The guy asked, raising his eyebrows. "A pretentious one?"

"Hmmm. It's a common gesture to help the elderly, and to apologize when you hit someone." You paused. "If that's pretentious, then you trying to be mean is too."

He muttered something under his breath and took a puff again from his stick of cigarrette. You scrunched your nose and started to walk away.

As much as you hated crowds, it's better to drown in them than suffocating in the smell of cigars.

"Wait."

The guy held your wrists surprisingly light. You sighed.

"Excuse me. I really can't stand the smell of cigarettes."

"Uh-" The train gradually stops. "Will you be here tomorrow?"

"Why?" Heat rushed to the guys cheeks. A light pint of red hardly noticeable.

He let go of you and his eyes began twitching and glaring at you like..

Just answer the damn question.

"Nevermi-"

"Yes, I'll be here. I need a ride home after all." You cut him off and hurried off the train. Leaving the guy dumbfounded.

Dumbfounded as he's never seen a woman so elegant, straightforward, and.. kind. He shook his head.

"The name's Suna, by the way."

No one heard him.

Except for himself and the guys goofing around earlier.