Chapter eleven

I watched as my mother's coffin was lowered into the ground. There were very few people here, just a small group. I was back in London, not expecting to be here so soon after I left. As the soil was placed on top of her coffin, I wondered off, not wanting to see anymore. The thought of my mother dying had sunk in.

I thought I'd go back to the house I lived with her in, and collect any things of hers I could keep in memory. I shed a small tear walking up the path to the small house, knowing this was real, it was very real. I had lost both parents now, I don't know whether to feel lonely or free. Free of looking after her all those years as I watched her ruin herself with alcohol abuse and drugs. I shrugged off the thought as I entered through the front door, thanking myself for keeping the keys.

I walked in, it was so quiet, too quiet, I was so used to her mumbling songs to herself as she cooked, or usually I did the cooking while she sang as she sipped on tea. I started to walk up the stairs and pushed the door to her room open, the smell of her perfume still lingered, her clothes still sprawled on her unmade bed as I glanced around, stopping on a photograph of me, her and my father, it was my 6th birthday, I had a cake placed in front of me, larger than my head, I smiled at the memory of my father laughing wondering why mother had made such a huge cake for such a tiny person.

As I placed the photo back down, I stepped back into the hallway, my feet taking me to the bathroom, where Alfie said she was found. I took a deep breath and walked through the door, the bathroom was spotless, tidy, clean, just how it was when I had left. You would never have thought something so tragic woukd have happened here.

My thoughts were interrupted as i heard a key pushing through the lock of the front door, and footsteps coming in. I took out my gun, who was this? An intruder? I walked so carefully down the stairs not wanting to make a sound. The noise of rummaging coming from the kitchen, I headed there, almost tiptoeing praying the floorboards wouldn't creek. I peered around the corner, and took the step, pointing my gun ready for the action.

"Christ Ivy, you scared the shit out of me"

"Mother?" I asked, shocked to see not an intruder but my mother, staring at me as she gasped dropping what she had in her hand as the bags hit the floor and vegetables scattered across the floor.
Was I seeing a ghost? This can't be real? I've just buried my mother, I saw her coffin, the flowers, the people. But thinking back, I didn't recognise not one person from her burial.

"Ivy, you're back, my sweetheart where have you been?" She stepped towards me as I lowered my gun and she enveloped my into a hug. I was frozen, completely confused. "Am I dreaming?" I asked as she brought me to sit at the kitchen table.
"Of course you're not dreaming don't be silly, here let me get us a tea" my mother said as she turned around to make the drinks.
I sat, looking around waiting to wake up from this nightmare.

"I thought you were dead?" Was all I could say as I blindly looked around still utterly confused.
"Me? Dead? Have you been drinking Ivy. I thought you were dead, after you left I thought I'd never see you again" she said, bringing over to mugs full of warm tea.
Why would Alfie tell me she was dead when she is so clearly alive right now in front of me.
"Mother, has Alfie been around?" I asked wondering on what she'd say.

"Alfie? Yes, well, no, not him, but he sent someone over to check on where you were, I told him you'd gone to visit a friend. I didn't want you to get you in trouble, it's a good job Ivy you should go back to work for him" mother said as she reached over and grabbed my hand as she sipped her tea.

"No I can't" I said, needing answers I stood up from the table and started to walk down the hallway to the front door.
"Ivy where are you going?" She called as she followed me out from the kitchen.

"I'll be back" I shouted from the front door as I left.
I was angry, confused, and hurt on why he'd lie to me.
I stormed my way through London, knowing exactly where I was going.

Too see Alfie.