Chapter one

Smoke lingered in the air in front of me as I took a long desperate drag of my cigarette, before the vapour drifted into the dusty, smoky, dirty breeze of London air. Then dropping it at my feet to stub it out with my shoe before I missed my train.

I looked down at my watch "Shit"
I said trying to get through the crowd of people, I kept my head down as I marched into the herd of people all rushing to their trains.
Checking my watch every second incase the train leaves London without me.

"Fuck fuck fuck fu-" I cursed, not being able to finish my language and instead bumping into someone instead.
"Fuck off mate, watch where you're going"  the old bearded man said as I ignored him and carried on through the cluster of people, before finally stepping onto the train and sitting down in the hard black seats.

I could finally relax, leaving London had to be the best decision I've made, patting my own back at how well I left.

Peering out the small windows, I sighed, thinking about how my mother would be reading the letter I left on the kitchen table regarding my departure.
I have to remember I am doing this for myself, no one else.

I glanced at the last scene I would see of London, watching people stood talking to one another, others smoking while waiting, and mothers crying at their husbands for leaving London for better work.
Sort of what I was doing, instead my situation may be more dangerous than theirs.

I thought about my new upcoming life before slowly drifting off, slouching into the uncomfortable seats.

                        __________

I woke as the train jolted on the tracks, slowing down before stopping at the station.

I stood, gathered my bag and exited through the door and into the dull air into a familiar scent of the streets of Birmingham.
Having lived here when I was a young girl before moving to London with my mother, I knew these streets like the back of my hand.

Striding into the humble streets of Birmingham, I knew exactly where I was going.
Heading straight to the place I knew too well, The Garrison pub.

Taking my hat off before I entered the building, I walked in, taking in the familiar looks and strange stares of men watching me as I walked in my trousers, shirt and blazer jacket.
I get used to the odd comments and looks of people staring at me, I know it's unusual for a women to wear anything but a dress or skirts, I was different, couldn't stand wearing such uncomfortable attire.

Tightening my hair which was in a bun and loosening the side strands as I made my way to the bar.

"Whisky please when you're ready" I ordered, the barman turned and I recognised him straight away.

"Nice to see you're still working here Harry" I said gently while he looked at me, furrowing his eyebrows, thoughts deep in memory.

It was like watching a lightbulb turn on above his head as I remembered who I was.

"Holy shit haven't you grown love! I haven't seen ya since you were about this big" he exclaimed before motioning his hands to the height.

I laughed "Long time no see" I said while taking a sip of my drink.
Tasting the well known liquid burning down my throat.

"So where have ya been then? Got a husband yet? Any children?" he said while wiping down the counter.
I shuffled in my seat at the amount of questions before replying, but not before I took my cigarette holder from my jacket pocket and lit a cigarette.

"Not a lot, moved away when I was fourteen, mother couldn't cope with the memories this place left her with" 

Harry nodded understanding.

"And to answer you're question, no husband, no children, and I don't plan on that anytime soon either"  I informed him while necking the rest of my drink and asking for another.

Harry and I chatted for a while about memories as a kid I had here.
You'd think at such a young age I shouldn't be in a pub, but my mother insisted of dragging me in here while she got slashed, I used to sit in the corner and shiver as she'd leave me there alone to go off with another man.

Mother was never the same after the incident, she turned to drinking, taking snow, and noticeable of all, leaving me to fend for myself.
We left Birmingham to get her back to her old self, which finally after hard work, it payed off and she went back to trying to be a good mother.

I inhaled and exhaled from my cigarette remembering the bad memories I had in this place, Harry being the one to walk me home after mother had already left.

I shook my head, as though shaking all thoughts from my head, not wanting to think about it.

I took my hair from its bun, letting it fall way past my shoulders, waves bouncing as it fell, and I ruffled it, not wanting it to be too perfect while I continued my drink.

Listening to the faint chatter of the pub before it suddenly turned eerily quiet. I turned, seeing all heads turn to the direction of the door. Where three well dressed men came in, I admired their clothes, taking in their hats, faces and boldness and mysteriousness of their auras.

As chatter of punters soon faded back in, I turned my head back to the empty glass, fiddling with it in my hand.

"Bottle of whisky Harry" I heard as the voice appeared next to me, I glanced to where the voice was, realising it was one of the mysterious men from the door, I watched as he sighed, placing his hat on the counter.

He was younger than the other two, hair slicked into a parting while he toked on his cigar.

I was knocked out of my trance as Harry brought the bottle of whisky up to the counter "On the house Mr Shelby" he said while nodding to the man sat beside me.

The man who I now know as Mr Shelby lingered for a moment near me, glancing at my glass before he took it in his hands.

"Excuse me sir, that's my glass if you didn't notice it sat right in front of me" I said in a rough tone.

He didn't say anything, I was shocked to see him open his bottle of whisky, and then pouring some into my glass, I sat confused by his gesture as he continued to then slide it my now full glass back to me.

He then left, without a word, however a small smirk on his lips as you watched him in confusion leave the bar and head to the back room.

"I'd be careful around them love, don't back chat em' or you might regret it" Harry said while looking up at you as he polished some glasses.

"And who may they be" I asked, still weirdly confused by what just happened, and pissed off that Mr Shelby never said a word.

"That love, was John Shelby, but trust me you don't want to encounter with the others, they're too dangerous for your innocent soul" Harry quietly said to you hoping they wouldn't hear him. I had heard the name 'Shelby' from my old boss a few times before, but not wanting Harry to know,
I nodded, however slightly smirked at how Harry underestimated me calling me innocent.

"But who are they? Why are they so dangerous or powerful ey" I asked Harry while stubbing out your smoke in the ash tray.

"They're the Peaky fuckin' Blinders"