Chapter Eleven: Wedding Plans

“Now the colour theme is yellow,” Manuela started showing Aoife and Marco what she had done so far for their wedding, in the past three weeks since their engagement she had been working hard to organise a wedding.

Marco rolled his eyes knowing why his mother had picked that colour, it was the colour of his Dortmund kit and he was sure that everything had been planned out without any consideration what he and Aoife might like for their wedding.

“It’s nice,” Aoife murmured awkwardly, this wasn’t how she had imagined planning her wedding to be and she knew that Manuela wasn’t going to take no for an answer.

Marco rested a comforting hand on her knee, he didn’t like this anymore than she did but now that a couple of his close friends knew what was going on they had a better support system.

“The flowers will be yellow roses,” Manuela continued smiling, she’d had so much fun organising the wedding and it was going to be beautiful; she hadn’t taken a break since she had started and everything was finally falling into place after all her hard work.

Aoife nodded silently, she swallowed back her opinions reminding herself why she was doing this; she wasn’t going to give Manuela or Thomas any excuse to take this out on her parents.

Marco gritted his teeth, he wasn’t really interested in the plans for his wedding and the only reason that he was here was so his mother didn’t push Aoife around; she was far too nice to point out that none of this was what she wanted.

“Mama… I’m sure Aoife had her own ideas on how she would like to get married,” Marco interrupted before Manuela could continue on, he stared at her knowing that while she might have put a lot of work into the wedding but not once had she asked Aoife what she might like.

Manuela pursed her lips not pleased with what her son had said, she had very little interest in what Aoife wanted; she was only here to marry Marco because her sister had done a runner.

“It’s her wedding mama… wouldn’t it make sense if she had a say in what she wanted,” Marco pushed staring his mother down, he knew how controlling his mother could be and that she only wanted the best for him but Aoife was only going to get married once and it was to him.

Aoife looked at Marco surprised that he had stood up to his mother for her, she chewed on her bottom lip not wanting to cause any fighting; she might not get the wedding that she wanted but she didn’t really mind since she was being blackmailed into doing it.

“Very well… what are your thoughts about the wedding?” Manuela conceded turning to look at her future daughter-in-law, she was impressed that Marco was standing up for Aoife and she was sure it was a good sign that this match was a lot more agreeable.

Marco laced his fingers with Aoife’s, he was sure that his mother would take her suggestions on board especially since nothing had been completely finalised yet except for the wedding venue and reception hall.

“Maybe… red and orange instead of yellow,” Aoife whispered nervously, she peeked at Marco who had a smile on his face; she knew that his last wedding had a light pink and brown colour scheme; it made her a little nervous since hers was completely different.

Manuela stared at Aoife for a moment before she turned to her laptop and typed something down, she looked at the ideas that Aoife had put forward and nodded her head.

“That could work,” Manuela replied simply, she was a little impressed with the bright colours and it fit with the wedding theme a bit better than yellow had.

Marco rubbed his thumb over the back of Aoife’s hand, he didn’t want her being so nervous whenever his family was around and she was going to have to get used to it since they would be her family soon enough.

“What about flowers?” Manuela asked looking at Aoife, she was still wary of the brunette since she worried that she would do a runner like her sister had and it would only end badly if she did.

Marco squeezed Aoife’s hand a little, he knew that this wasn’t easy but they were going to be married in two weeks and there was still so much for them to sort out; not forgetting that she had yet to even go wedding dress shopping.

“We change the yellow roses to red and for my bouquet I was thinking orange tulips, peach spray roses, pink roses, fuchsia roses, light orange tulips, light pink tulips and orange spray roses,” Aoife murmured embarrassed, she hadn’t been able to help herself from looking at wedding magazines even if she had never thought that she’d have a say in her wedding.

Manuela jotted the notes now and nodded her head, she had no idea how much time it would take to change everything but she was going to have the work cut out for her.

“I’ll make the necessary changes, now about wedding dress shopping…” Manuela mused moving to look at Aoife, they needed to find a dress and the one that had been bought for Belle wasn’t going to cut it for her sister; they needed something fresh and new.

***

Aoife frowned when her mobile started to ring, she wasn’t expecting anyone to call her and she was sure that it couldn’t be important; she reached for her phone from her place curled up on the couch.

“Hallo…” Aoife answered pressing the phone to her ear, she had to remind herself not to speak in French since she doubted that it would be any of her friends from Paris.

Aoife sat up nearly knocking her laptop off her lap at the sound of an unfamiliar voice on the other end of her phone; she peeked around the room glad that she was alone since Marco had disappeared upstairs ages ago.

“Yes this is Aoife Beckan speaking,” Aoife replied when the person asked if she could speak to her, she closed her laptop and set it down on the coffee table so she didn’t drop it.

Aoife had sent her CV out to several schools in the local area, she was desperate to find herself a job so she didn’t have to spend Marco’s money; she wanted to support herself, she loved teaching and didn’t want to give it up.

“Really?” Aoife whispered excitedly, she almost missed Marco walking into the room as she moved to get a piece of paper and pen; she hadn’t been expecting the primary school to phone her back so soon.

Marco peeked at Aoife as he sat down on the couch and put his legs up, his leg was doing better and he didn’t want to ruin anything by causing himself more damage.

“Danke I will see you next week,” Aoife said before hanging up the phone, she did a happy dance and jumped up and down while Marco watched her amused wondering what was going on.

Aoife grinned sitting down, she couldn’t believe that she had gotten the call and she was hopeful that her interview went well; she didn’t want a job just because she was going to be Marco Reus’s wife.

“Who was that?” Marco asked curiously, he hadn’t seen Aoife so excited before and he hoped that it was good news; being unemployed was bringing her down and he wanted to help her in any way that he could.

“That was Brücherhof Grundschule, one of the schools that I applied for… they have an opening and want to see me next Wednesday for an interview,” Aoife replied glad that things were finally starting to look up, she couldn’t believe that she might have a new job soon.