Ragtag

Yakovna Family Home, Location: Novosibirsk, Russia

I pulled out my phone to see the little dot labeled 'Mom' on it. Currently, it was at home. Great. With a sigh, I swallowed the bile in my throat and approached the door, knocking. One of the cars was missing meaning my father wasn't home.

 Good. I didn't want to have to speak with that bastard anyway. "Секундочку!" My mother called from inside. I fidgeted with the coin in my pocket as I waited for the door to open. The door creaked open, revealing my mother, who looked a lot different than the last time I saw her.

Her curly hair, which was always down and to her collarbone, was now longer and tied up in a bun. Her overall face just looked more tired, with bags under her eyes and lines around her face. Her eyes widened when she saw me, standing there looking pretty damn awkward on her front porch. "Iva?" She breathed. "Мать," I greeted, a slight edge to my voice.

"Oh, I thought you were dead! When we got home there was blood and we couldn't find you anywhere! Oh, you're so big!" She exclaimed, moving to hug me. "Hi, Mom. I heard about what happened to..." I trailed off, and she grimaced. "Why are you here? Why now? You've been alive all this time, and you never bothered to tell us!" She shouted, turning angry now. Yeah, that was the thing about my mom. She could go from ecstatic to livid in .2 seconds.

"Well, I was under the impression you didn't want me anymore! Don't think I didn't see that check, that big fat check, on dad's desk!" I snarled, and she looked stunned. "What check?" She asked, confused. "That check, from the Red Room, that was on Dad's desk the night before I was kidnapped. Or did he just lie to you, like he lies to everyone around him?" I snapped, before running a hand down my face. "Anyways, that's not why I'm here--I need a favor," I admitted, sticking my hand back in my pocket. "What do you need?" She asked.

"Do you still have Granddad's old gear?"

-

"Hey guys, sorry this took so long. My mom's real sentimental about Granddad's Howling Commando stuff. That and...we hit a few road bumps on the way," I said, pushing open the gate and walking over, gear in hand. "Asya and Trip were generous enough to offer up some of their granddads' old spy tech to help us out, so we should systematically take a full inventory of ev--oh, my god. Is that a handheld Hypno-beam?" Coulson asked, picking up one of the objects. "One of the original betas. See how it has the switch on the bottom?" I said, pointing at the activating switch. 

"The production models moved it to the side. This is amazing. Almost as cool as a..." Coulson marveled. "Transistorized Blast Gun," we said in sync, looking at each other before laughing. "Ha, ha, okay. You three can get a room later, but we have a plane to catch," Skye said, as the back of my neck heated up. "Where did they buy this stuff, from the back of a comic book?" She asked, picking up one of the gadgets. "Come on, girl, that's not really a joy buzzer, that's a--" Trip started as she pressed the button, taking out the lamps.

 "E.M.P. Knocks power out in about a ten-foot radius," Trip finished. "Yep. A lot of vintage S.H.I.E.L.D. spycraft was designed to look innocent in case a spy was caught. Like, um...okay. One of these smokes," Fitz said, pulling out a laser cigarette and activating it, pretending to smoke it. "Oh, Coulson, you're gonna love this one--this is the Zip-Line Gun my Granddad used when they raided that final HYDRA base in Siberia, and when they captured Zola," I said, pulling it out. Coulson took it, looking it over. "Yeah, he would spill these all over the carpet and tell me stories about the missions he used them on," I admitted.

"Thanks, Trip, Asya. This is a huge help. Gives us a fighting chance against these bad guys," there was a woosh, and the smoke alarm went off. Fitz had managed to set the curtain on fire, and he quickly turned off the laser cigarette. "Oh, Fitz," Simmons sighed. I went over, beating the flames out.