Chapter Fourteen

Allissa's face still stung, but the soft question warmed her heart and she turned her focus to the small teen staring wide-eyed at her from the tabletop. "I'm okay. Don't worry about me. I'm more worried about you," she stated softly, approaching the table to try and observe if Kenny had actually been hurt or not. 

Kenneth had never seen his foster father strike anyone else besides him before. It was shocking, and terrifying at the same time. He hit her in the police station even after hearing about the camera. 

When the young woman started to near him, he involuntarily flinched away. He could feel himself still trembling because of the encounter, and part of him was forcing him to be afraid of Allissa hurting him too. The other part of him, however, reminded him of Nova, and the things they'd worked on together. But then, thinking of her, how he'd never see her again only made things worse. He could feel the tears brimming in his eyes again. He could feel his chest tightening as he struggled back the tears. 

Moving forward quickly, Allissa knelt by the table and used her hand to stroke the top of the tiny head. "Hey, hey it's okay. They're gone. They can't hurt you anymore, they can't take you with them."

Struggling to speak through his emotions, Kenny choked out a quick response to her words. One that only made a harsh sob escape his body. "N-Nova said the same thing!"

Biting her lip, the psychiatrist pushed herself back to her full height. "I'll be right back, okay? I promise I'll only be a few minutes."

She hated leaving him alone, but, she had to try something to make him feel better.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You want to what?" Chief Kline grumbled under his breath, standing up from his desk with folded arms. "Are you insane?"

Allissa frowned deeply, folding her hands neatly in front of her. "Maybe. But right now he's inconsolable. I feel it may be the only thing to truly calm him down. Besides, wouldn't it be good evidence to film how they interact with each other? Wouldn't that help her case? Kenneth isn't going to press charges on her. And the foster parents have no control over it now. The only people able to decide Nova's fate are the judge and jury. And...I fear that if she were to be permanently incarcerated, Kenny won't live for long after that."

"What makes you say that?" He muttered, slowly moving his arms back to his side. "Has he threatened his own life?"

"No. But, the scars on his arms are both old and new. Some look like they were filled with the intention of death. He's just a child, sir. I can't let that happen."

Silent for a few moments, Chief Kline let out a low, breathy sigh. "Very well. We'll get them to agree to be filmed so that it can be used in court with no problem. And she has to be under supervision. You and another of my officers should be in the room."

A wide smile broke out across Allissa's face and she nodded before swiftly hurrying down the halls to the interrogation room where the accused was being held. It wouldn't be a long visit, but it'd be enough to hopefully get Kenny relaxed enough to let her help him come up with a way to help Nova.

-------------------------------------------------------------

How long had he been in this room now? Trapped on a table with no way down, wondering about his adopted mom, worried about his German Shepard pup. The one thing keeping him calm now was the fact that even now when Nova went to prison, he didn't have to go back to those people. 

The door clicked, then slowly pushed open and he wasn't that surprised to see Allissa. It was who was behind her, being escorted by an officer that he was absolutely stunned to see. Nova's gentle eyes gazed directly at him and it sent a warmth throughout his body. 

"Kenny," she whispered breathily, beginning to step forward but the officer held her back. 

Kenneth wasn't sure how to feel in this moment. He was happy to see her, but what was the point of seeing her if they weren't going to let her near him? "M-Mom," he choked out, pushing himself to his feet on unstable and weak legs.

Allissa looked to the officer now and gave a small nod. He released Nova and this allowed her to now shuffle across the floor towards the small boy. 

Her heart begged her to reach out, to snatch him up and tell him everything was going to be okay however the officer behind her made her nervous to try anything remotely close to that.

Kenny knew why she was so still but that didn't mean he couldn't hate it. He outstretched an arm towards his adoptive mother and silently pleaded with her to do the same.

To his relief, her arms shifted and she began to reach towards him. Her movements seemed slow and hesitant. And when the officer next to Allissa began to move forward, the psychologist moved one of her own arms to stop him from interfering. 

Her fingers first brushed over his head, stroking his hair and moving strands from his face. A finger moved its way down to rest on his cheek and began to delicately wipe away the tears the small teen hadn't even felt start to flow. "It's okay baby," the motherly tone above him crooned which only caused more tears to well and create trails down his face.

It was like a dream all over again. He wanted so badly to believe she was going to be able to take him home. To get out of all of this mess. But the jingling of the handcuff chain kept him cemented in reality. It was just a visit, no doubt orchestrated by Allissa in an attempt to comfort him.

Allissa was indeed wanting to comfort both Kenny and Nova, but that wasn't all. She was able to observe the two together. Take mental notes. Create papers to use in court when the time came. In the end, the Jury is who decides the fate of the defendant. And she has every intention to use human emotion to aid them all in this case.