twenty one

the little amount of happiness which was left in Aurelia was now completely drained

the little amount of happiness which was left in Aurelia was now completely drained. chances of everything she had ever dreamed of coming true dropped below zero. she could never have the things she had always wanted to have.

her only family, other than her brother had left her too, breaking the promise he had made. a promise to stay with her always.

having rescued by dumbledore, aurelia never left her dorm. her dorm mates left her alone, not knowing how to calm the girl down.

aurelia wanted to run to a better place, somewhere far from the cruel and harsh world she was living into.

she left her dorm the very next morning, wandering around the empty and deserted hallways. It's your fault that sirius died ​​​​​​, a rather cold and broken voice yelled inside her head causing her to stop in her tracks.

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! the voice screamed again, welling up tears in aurelia's eyes.

"it's my fault." aurelia whispered to herself, walking out of the castle. constantly wiping her tears, aurelia reached the quidditch pitch. she didn't know why she was there or what she was doing. she felt numb.

her brain wasn't functioning properly. she felt like she was just tore apart and she had lost a part of herself in the process.

sighing, aurelia sat on the stands staring at her feet.

"hey."

a little startled by the sudden sound, aurelia lifted her head up to find theodore standing in front of her.

"hi." aurelia pushed the words out, her voice hoarse from crying all night.

without speaking a word, theodore sat behind her and looked at her wounded fingers.

"can i ask you something?" theodore asked, lifting his gaze up to look at her dejected face.

aurelia nodded, quickly wiping a tear which managed to fall down despite aurelia's attempts to control them.

"something happened?" theodore questioned before taking a deep breath. he knew something was off with the potter twins but nobody knew the reason.

"don't you know?" aurelia questioned, laughing bitterly,"everybody has been talking about it. you-know-who's back."

"i did." theodore gulped,"but-"

"but what?" aurelia snapped causing theodore to shut his mouth up. he has never seen aurelia speaking so rudely or harshly to anybody, no matter who they are.

"I'm sorry." aurelia apologized quickly, her voice breaking at the end.

"it's okay." theodore softly said, noticing the tears that had started falling down the hazel orbs.

the two youngsters sat in silence, the only sound coming was the soft, quivering sobs escaping aurelia's lips every now and then.

theodore had it enough of it. he couldn't bear the pain that was arousing in his heart on hearing those rueful sobs. with every tears escaping her eyes, it felt like a knife was being slashed in his chest.

"golden." he said, his voice barely above a whisper as he was scared that even a small sound could break the girl,"why are you crying?"

on hearing the word 'crying' aurelia broke into a misfit of sobs, finding it hard to control her tenacious tears.

"it's okay, calm down." theodore panicked from inside that he was the reason she was crying but kept his face cool from outside.

"s-she killed h-him." aurelia said, choking on her tears,"she- she ki...killed sirius."

theodore's blue orbs widened in shock as he stared at her for a moment. when he finally found his voice, he asked,"who are you talking about? sirius black?"

aurelia nodded.

"i don't understand..." theodore trailed off, terribly confused about the girl crying over a mass murderer.

"he is- was mine and harry's godfather. he was the only one we had."

"how is that possible?" theodore questioned, intensely invested in the conversation.

"he never killed anyone!" aurelia exclaimed, her voice shaking,"he was innocent. he was like a father to me but- but bellatrix killed him. right in front of my eyes, it hurts so much."

theodore was taken aback ; he had always thought of sirius black to be a threat to the potters. but now watching the girl cry over the man, theodore realized how much sirius would have mean to aurelia.

"he broke his promise theodore." a great sob escaped aurelia and she covered her face with shaking hands. the gut wrenching sobs tore theodore's heart apart.

"I'm so sorry..." theodore trailed off, not sure how to calm the girl. he raised his hand to keep on aurelia's shoulder but not knowing how she'll react he drew it back.

"it hurts, it hurts." aurelia repeated, tucking the loose strands of her hair behind her ear.

"i know." theodore breathed out,"i know it all.but someone once told me that those we love don't go away, they walk besides us everyday. Close your eyes and you'll feel their presence."

aurelia wiped her tears and stared at theodore. he just repeated what she had once told him when he was missing his mother.

"it works, trust me." theodore smiled slightly, pulling out a handkerchief and handed it to aurelia.

theodore looked closely at the scar which covered aurelia's forehead. it was still bright red.

"theodore." aurelia said, clearing her throat,"your father... i'm sorry about him..."

theodore's body stiffened up as he looked away, twiddling with his thumbs. he had received the news about his father being escorted to azkaban along with the other death eaters.

"it's not your fault." was all theodore said, not meeting aurelia's eyes,"he's paying for his actions."

Aurelia feebly handed the handkerchief back to him.

"you don't think that I'm like him, right? like my father..." theodore suddenly spoke up, awkwardly looking at aurelia,"i know that I'm rude, sometimes harsh yes but-"

"you're not what everybody sees." aurelia shook her head,"you're a very kind human being. you just don't show your emotions, that's all."

"thank you." theodore nodded,"you should visit the hospital wing you know."

he pointed at the scars on aurelia's forehead and arms.

"yes." aurelia reluctantly nodded, running her fingers lightly over the scarred arm.

"go on." theodore said, slightly pushing aurelia up,"it must be treated."

sighing, aurelia got up and with one last wave and look at theodore she walked to the hospital wing to find ginny, neville,luna, hermione, ron and umbridge.

she further trudged inside and noticed harry sitting at an empty bed, the daily prophet in his lap.

"where were you!" harry shrieked, jogging up to aurelia.

"in my dorm." aurelia curtly replied, her gaze fixed on umbridge who was staring up at the ceiling.

"you need treatment." harry pointed out, leading her to one of the beds. both harry and aurelia knew that the two of them were practically ignoring whatever happened to sirius. just one word and both of them would break down crying, they knew.

a/n: end of fifth year.