(The VKs) - The Other Half of Me Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Are you sure that is not some pathetic excuse you've come up with because these thoughts have arisen due to what day it is?"

"'Day'?"

"Father's Day," the Evil Queen said, not convinced of her daughter's ignorance. "And let me be clear, Evie. The scoundrel who contributed to your existence does not exist to neither you or me-"

"But what if I exist to him? What would he think if he knew he had a daughter?" Evie raised an eyebrow, as if actually daring to challenge her mother.

Clearly not the right choice. Proven as Evie was taken off-guard by a slap to the face.

The young girl sucked in a gasp, knowing she should have seen that coming.

Grimhilde ranted as she grabbed Evie by her hair and began forcibly dragging her to the castle dungeon. "Perhaps if you did have a father, he would do a better job at teaching you respect and obedience than I have, you ungrateful brat. But fortunately, you will have better luck with men than I did as you will marry a prince and I alone will reap the benefits! You think you can escape me, you pathetic bastard?" she seethed as she opened the nearest cell door and threw Evie inside.

The young girl fell in with a grunt, breathing heavily as she was clutching her face which was still stinging from the slap. "Mother, I swear, I wasn't trying to-"

"You belong to me, Evelyn," the former queen growled as she closed the cell door and locked it. "And no father of yours will take you from me," she scoffed.

Evie looked up and resisted the urge to sob. It was unladylike and the last thing she wanted to do was dig herself in a deeper hole with her mother as she already didn't know how long she would be staying in the dungeon.

"And do you know why, Evelyn?"

Evie shook her head.

The Evil Queen gave a smug smile. "Because your father does know you exist."

Evie felt a pang in her chest. No, she's lying. She has to be.

"I wrote to him when I found out I was pregnant so we could marry. But, he was in the process of being removed from this wretched island and he claimed he didn't need any link to it when he returned to his wife. He was some two-bit thief that was originally sent here but was taken off a few years later when his wife vouched that he belonged on the 'heroes' side of the barrier because he stole from the rich to give to the poor," she mocked.

Evie began to frantically shake her head in denial. A parent couldn't just not want their child, could they? Was Evie really that worthless that nobody wanted her?

The Evil Queen, satisfied with her mental damage she'd done to her daughter, left the dungeon, leaving the young girl who could no longer stop the tears from flowing out of her eyes and falling—falling on the scarf she didn't realize she was still holding.

Her sadness turned to anger as she crumpled the scarf in her hands and threw it against the bars of the dungeon. She sat back against the wall and hugged her knees and rocked herself back and forth as she repeated her mother's words in her head. Despite how adept Grimhilde was at manipulation, Evie knew somehow that she was telling the truth. Her father knew about her and didn't want her. Nobody would protect her from her mother. It was father's day, and she was fatherless.