Chapter 6: Degree Bago T*t*

Start from the beginning

"My father died because of a sudden stroke...and at that moment, I just wish I could've done something to prevent it..and save him somehow.." I paused and swallowed the thorns around my throat. "But he's gone now..and if not him, then I'll help other people who still have a shot in life." Pagpapatuloy ko. Hindi ko alam kung bakit basta basta ko na lang nasabi iyon sa kanya. Maybe because wheter I like to admit or not, komportable akong kasama si Del Russo.

Suddenly, nawala ang pilyo na ekspresyon sa kanyang mukha, but what baffles me is, he didn't have a pity for me, but just a sympathy.

"I'm sorry--I didn't know.."

Umiling ako.

"It's okay, it's not your fault...and thank you for not pitying me."

A humorless smile came on his lips. There was a glint of emotion in his green eyes that I didn't get a chance to read because it was so brief.

"I knew better than to pity you because you made it clear from day one that you are not a charity case, and hell, I saw you work and study at the same time. It doesn't look like you need pity at all..." He sounded so sincere.

Lumunok ako.

"If I didn't see you last night, I wouldn't have thought that you work a job and study at the same time." Dagdag pa niya. Akala ko ay hindi namin paguusapan ang nangyari kagabi, turns out I was wrong and now I do not know how to answer.

"Bakit? You have something against working students?" Nang-aasar na tanong ko para naman gumaan gaan ang paligid. Suddenly, his eyes were alarmed and wide.

"No!" Mabilis siyang umiling. "Nerdy no, It's just that..I was surprised, is all."

Bahagya akong tumawa sa reaksyon niya.

"Relax, I'm messing with you, do not give me that so much credit, madami ang mga working students all over the Philippines and in the world, I'm just a grain.."

He smiled.

"Still it's impressive and I get to see you in a dress." Tinaas baba niya ang mga kilay niya. Napadaing ako, I know he's gonna make a comment about it and the serious Del Russo wouldn't last long.

"Tse..I had to work because.. it's not like I have a choice. I need to meet the ends." Deretso na sagot ko. I have no shame in admitting that I am struggling..for now.

Napatango naman siya at uminom muli sa kanyang cup bago iyon ipinatong muli sa lamesa. I on the other hand can't help but to yawn. Damn it. Inaantok talaga ako.

"Wait, you pay for your tuition?" Takang tanong niya.

Umiling ako.

"Hindi, iska ako."

There was a hint of confusion in his green eyes.

"No, you're Nerdy."

I rolled my eyes.

"Tanga, Tagalog slang ng Iskolar 'yun. Lumabas-labas ka rin kasi mula sa iyong sosyal bubble."

Tumawa naman siya sandali bago siya napatango.

"Though it does not cover my miscellaneous expenses..bills....and--ugh, bakit ko ba sinasabi sa'yo ang life story ko." I shook my head when I realised that.

Ngumisi siya.

"Kasi aminin mo man o hindi komportable ka sa akin." Sagot niya.

"Wow, how did you make this all about you?" Sagot ko nalang pero totoo 'yung sinabi niya.

Sa loob ng magda-dalawang buwan namin na pagsasama ay komportable nga ako sa kanya, but not comfortable enough to show him where I live and so, I managed to shoo him away before I walked home.