two

A manky old hat sat loosely upon Cassiopeia's head as she peered out towards the staring students. The same eyes had been stuck on her from the moment Dumbledore had announced her arrival. No new students ever came to Hogwarts. Especially now, in the heat of Voldemort's return. Surely, people should be fleeing in the opposite direction. But no, not her family.

Anyway, some of the innocent here were still in denial. In their minds, he's not back. Harry Potter and Dumbledore were crazy. They were trying to scare everyone. Out of control. She almost felt bad for them. That they were so unaware. No grasp of reality. That they had no clue that - soon, he would be in power again. But she forced those feelings of guilt back deep inside of her. She wasn't raised that way. She was raised to be slave to the one and only. Their Dark Lord.

She had found herself in eye contact with Harry Potter once she entered the Great Hall, and his eyes remained on her as she walked to the front. Curious, perhaps. Or, merely bothered by her presence.

She felt as if she were walking down the aisle for her wedding, when she would reach the front, her fate would be sealed. She knew what had to happen. She could already see the future ahead of her. It already existed. Now, she just had to move through it and let it be.

She then sunk into the stool and let the hat be placed upon her head. She was like a doll on display. Except this doll's face was stained with embarrassment in the shade of crimson. She never relished being the centre of attention, having everyone's eyes on her. That wasn't something she obtained from her mother. She was always more similar to her father. Reserved but confident. Quiet but aware.

The Sorting Hat murmured it's thoughts.

"Ravenclaw would be the perfect place for someone like you...intellect, yes. Diligent, yes....or possibly..."

"I belong in Slytherin." she whispered. How embarrassing would it be, if she ended in anywhere but Slytherin. A disgrace, possibly. She hoped no one else could hear the hat's words.

"I see. Yes...perhaps you do...you would be great there. But..."

Her stomach was in knots, preparing her apology letter to her parents in her head.

"I think it must be..."

She closed her eyes and swallowed a deep breath.

"Slytherin!"

Just as everyone had expected, of course.

Her eyes shot open and she found her sight already tied to Harry. He broke his gaze and leaned over to whisper something to Ginny. They both looked back up at her, their faces painted with subtle shock and disappointment. But she smiled at Harry, rose up and made her way over to the Slytherin table, most of the student's aroused in applause. Some, unbothered. Some, confused and repelled.

"We got the new girl!"

"Who the fuck transfers schools this late? She's in her fifth year..."

"Well, we don't want her. Get your arse over to the Hufflepuff table"

The words dissolved in her ears, and she took a seat next to a familiar face. Pansy Parkinson.

"Cass" Pansy grinned as she shuffled over to make space for her. "I knew you'd end up here. So did Draco. However, Crabbe doubted you..."

She looked over at Crabbe and smirked, "You dare doubt my ambition and loyalty, do you, Crabbe?"

"It seemed like it took it a bit longer than it should've. Longer to sort you than it did us" he shrugged, avoiding eye contact and shoving food onto his plate.