Code: Forest

"Roots you say?"

(Y/n) began to roll down the window of the car as she examined the scene. The car was just speeding down the highway, but now it was being suspended in the air by large roots. (Y/n) knew about this ability user from a few reports she had run, though she didn't have much information on him as a person.

"Sorry about that ladies, I bet that was really scary, huh?"

(Y/n) looked outside the shattered window and saw a blonde man in a pair of overalls with a plain white shirt on underneath them. While his clothes may have screamed farm-boy, the large root protruding from his neck screamed gifted.

This is John Steinbeck-- gifted ability user whose roots allow him to connect to the surrounding flora and control it. Some reports also say that the plants he connects himself to through his ability also act as an extension of his senses. Basically, this man could find them anywhere they hid if there were plants around that were within his ability's reach.

Beside the farm boy stood a tall, lanky, and almost sickly looking man with hollowed cheeks and a tired gaze set onto his face. His skin was pale and looked as if he hadn't seen the sun in years. To match his eerie presence, he wore mostly black-- a black trenchcoat, slacks, and shoes along with a simple white button-up underneath his coat.

Two thoughts came to (Y/n)'s mind as she observed this man:

He looks creepy, and I have no idea who he is.

(Y/n) hand;t been paying attention to the words exchanged between the farmer boy-- presumedly John-- and Naomi. But suddenly, the monstrous roots holding the car began to crush the car inwards a few inches. (Y/n) called out to the two in her, "You two, get back here and hold onto me. The more we're touching the easier this is going to be."

The two women scurried into the backseat and grabbed onto (Y/n), who was trying to collect herself for her grand escape plan. Her collection was interrupted by the strange farmer boy standing below them.

"Well, that's interesting, isn't it Lovecraft? I didn't read anything about three ladies in the report... a new hire, perhaps?"

(Y/n) scowled at the man as she said, "I guess you could say that."

"Sorry, you picked the wrong time to go job searching. I guess you could think of this as a new employment gift though! You three are going to be our hostages!"

(Y/n) rolled down the windows and set her hand on one of the roots before she said, "Thank you for the gift, Sir--who I assume is Mr. Steinbeck. My name's (Fake Name) and I'm going to have to decline this lovely gift you've prepared for me."

(Y/n) turned to the women who were holding onto her in the back seat when she said, "If this puts me out because of how much energy I'm about to use, you both will keep running towards the train, do you understand!"

(Y/n) could see the fear and apprehension in their eyes as they weighed her words. If they left her, she could fight on her own without them getting in the way, but they also didn't want to leave a comrade behind.

Naomi spoke up, "No, we won't leave--"

"You will either leave me, or I will force you to leave alone, understood?"

The two women nodded before Haruno said, "What exactly are you going to do?"

(Y/n) closed her eyes and took a deep breath before she said, "I'm about to use a code that could kill us because it's going to eat away at his ability. When the roots are gone, we're going to crash to the ground."