Chapter 7: Checkmate

Start from the beginning

What he saw wasn't enough to faze him. However, he hadn't seen the worst...

The aerosol substance was developed in the White Room. Its purpose was to increase tolerance to any form of pain made possible by the natural biological processes inherent in all human beings. Of course, since it was lethal, an antidote was made. But they won't administer it without taking full advantage of the lethal substance. They would let them squirm, wriggle, writhe in agony as they breathe in the air of thorns. But, there were consequences—Many, became stiff corpses, for a different reason than most would expect.

"Haa—hhhh! uh—hh! Uhh—hh! Aaa—aah—hh!" Similar pained noises were overlapping, creating this, maddening sensation. It was hell, and it was very tempting, to give up...

Bam!

"—!" His laughing was abruptly stopped.

A loud noise was heard. Splat! followed by a disturbing, icky sound.

Bam! Bam! Bam! A boy was banging his head on the wall—he gave up.

The perfect-white surfaces were stained with bright red. 'Red over white'—a disturbing combination of colors associated with psychopathic violence.

"The fuck?!"

Despite the lack of normal, exaggerated reactions from the youngsters, it was evident that the expressions they wore changed and became of horror. Someone gave up.

Housen scrutinized someone aberrant in that environment.

Amidst all the agony, there was one deviant; there was a brown-haired boy.

"Is that...?"

No unnecessary movements were done; no sudden, quick jolts were to be seen of his limbs, only indifference. Indifference was written all over his face. The pain was just pain, nothing of significance. Nothing.

He was sitting perfectly still, watching the youngster who gave up.

Shut. He turned off his phone. the boiling blood he once had become one of the nothings. He was shaken.

"Ayanokouji..."

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

Time Unknown, in the White Room Sterilization Chambers.

The Sterilization Chambers weren't merely for sterilization purposes. Despite the horrific things done to them, there was one thing lacking perfection—the bones.

Our skeletal system is one of the things limiting combat capability. Mobility issues are well made up for by the various techniques taught to them. However, its hardness, its density was still a problem. In the outside world, the bones were hardened by a process known to martial artists as 'bone conditioning'. It took advantage of the bones' capability to remodel and strengthen themselves. However, time is wasted by forcing the students to create micro-fissures in their bones merely by standard means. And so, an artificial procedure was made.

The sterilization chambers, aside from oxygen-related devices, were filled with wire-looking structures, thin needles, and indescribable mechanical devices.

Once they were put to sleep, the mechanical devices started operating...

Crack! Crk-crk-crack!

Sounds of fissures forming were heard emitting from the audio components of the computers beyond the glass chambers. Of course, the damage couldn't be considered as a fracture, for it was merely micro-fissures, lots of micro-fissures. The sounds were produced by devices highly sensitive to audio frequencies.

The needles were then inserted deep within the flesh. Its purpose was to supply necessary chemicals to speed up the healing process. It was inhumane.

⟡ ⟡ ⟡

May 1st, in Ayanokouji's dorm room.

Ayanokouji looked at the wall-mounted mirror. His expression was...different, and after a few moments he said: "Checkmate."

Author's Note:

That last scene though...Deeeeeeyyyyym!!! Baad aaaass (that's just my opinion doe).

Special thanks to Adisial/Lets_go_doode. The pain tolerance thingie was his idea. Also, if you guys didn't come from Reddit (or simply didn't saw the post), the core idea of this fanfic came from him, it deviated a bit (and a little bit more🎵 and a little bit more🎵) from what you've envisioned; but still, it's inspired from what you've said. Here's the shortened link of the post: <bit.ly/36cT5MU>.

Thank you for reading and see you next update.