Chapter Eight

Flames of the small fire in the black cast-iron chimney crackled in the background, providing much-needed warmth to the chilly interior of Meadow House. The inarticulate babble of the crowd assembled in the drawing-room drowned out the sound of the downpour hitting the conservatory's glass walls.

Time seemed to slow down as Lucy looked out the window at the large green trees that lined the property. A slight chill ran through Lucy's body as she pushed the memories of her grandfather's memorial service to the back of her mind. Lucy sighed as her lip quivered. She needed a distraction. Two hours had passed since her family had returned from the cemetery, but it felt more like half a day. Anxiety and paranoia had filled her idle mind with a sea of thoughts. All Lucy wanted to do was hide in her portion of the house. But she needed to be here. After all, it was the right thing to do.

Glancing over her shoulder, Lucy spotted her grandmother Henriette sitting on the couch surrounded by her parents, Jane and George and her uncle, Thomas. Henriette clutched a white handkerchief as she stared straight ahead. Thomas rubbed Henriette's back as he peered down at her with a concerned expression. Lucy's heart sank as she observed her grandmother's grief. Pushing all thoughts of Christopher aside, Lucy scanned the room in search of a distraction.

Next to the fireplace, Rose stood folding her arms, engrossed in a heated discussion with Grace, oblivious to everything going on around her. Grace stared at Rose with an expression that could freeze hell over. With an uneasy feeling building up within her, Lucy gazed out of the window as Rose glanced in her direction. Careful not to get caught, Lucy peered over as Grace grabbed Rose's bicep, drawing her closer. She whispered in Rose's ear.

What are they arguing about now?

Lucy took a deep breath as tears welled up in her eyes. Tilting her head in a side-to-side rhythm, Lucy peered over at her squabbling aunts. Could their argument not have waited until after the wake?

She grimaced.

Concerned others had noticed the tension, Lucy scanned the room. To her surprise, her family were gathered around the drawing-room in their usual clicks, preoccupied with their conversations. But for how long. No one had noticed the escalating argument between Rose and Grace. Lucy's stomach churned as Grace's face flushed a shade of red. Releasing her hold of Rose's bicep, Grace pointed towards the hallway.

I should step in.

A wave of nausea swept over Lucy's body as she considered interfering. The last thing Lucy needed was for everyone to stare at her. Frightened of causing a scene, she dismissed all notions of breaking up the fight. Lucy sighed as she turned and stared at the lush green gardens.

Out of the window, Lucy noticed the wind bending the tall green trees. She smiled to herself as a familiar, thick tail brushed up against her leg. A melodic cry called out. Crouching down, she scratched Tiberius under his chin. Moments later, a grey blur dashed up the three small steps and down the hallway, disappearing out of sight. Lucy bit her lip trying to hold back the tears. Poor Tiberius, he must miss grandfather.