Chapter Three

A wooden spoon struck the side of the baking tray, as her grandmother Henriette hunched over the white ceramic farmhouse sink. Soapy bubbles splashed up and dripped down the faux white brick backsplash. Lucy tiptoed across the ginger coloured floor tiles toward the neatly lined up platters on the granite-top island turned breakfast bar. Glancing across the room, Lucy smiled as she listened to her grandmother hum the most recent top 40 tune melody.

Any second, she was moments away from being caught in her grandmother's domain. Henriette fiercely defended her kitchen. Henriette wouldn't accept help of any kind, and you could not get away with taste-testing any of her delicious creations unless you were Colin. He could get away with anything, including getting caught with his finger in the Christmas pudding. Colin was her favourite grandchild.

A chill shot through her body as Lucy reached out and clasped the white platter. The salmon's fishy aroma mixed with cream cheese caused Lucy to screw up her nose in protest. Lucy turned and walked toward inaudible laughter and chatter that echoed down the hall into the kitchen. She paused as she felt her grandmother's watchful gaze. Her hopes of avoiding the evening's inevitable awkward small talk were dashed.

Lucy sighed, then turned around and forced a smile.

Henriette rubbed her soap covered hands on her white and red heart apron, as she walked towards Lucy with her arms stretched out. 'Lu, it's okay for you to enjoy the party. You don't have to help me. I'm fine.'

Lucy's heart sank as she shrugged. 'I'm not in a party mood. I've never like huge gatherings and small talk. He used to drag me to these types of things.' A single tear trickled down her cheek. 'Sorry, I have no idea why I'm crying over something so trivial.'

'Dear, I'm so sorry. I'm so used to protecting my kitchen from your grandfather and the boys.' Henriette's blue eyes glazed over as she forced a smile, then wrapped her arms around Lucy and drew her close.

Tears cascaded down Lucy's cheeks and onto Henriette's lavender cable knit, v-neck cardigan. 'I miss Christopher.'