Chapter Seven: Difficult Reunions

Start from the beginning

"So that's where you've been Darrell," called out Ryne from the main doors as Taylor came up level with him. Taylor looked about to see two men step out of each land rover.

"Sorry, sir, the escort called me and they had a tail on them so I went to help cover their tracks after they'd lost them. Then we stayed in a hotel for the night to play it safe," said Darrell.

He was roughly the same height as Taylor and by the looks of him not much older either. He had dark chocolate brown hair so dark you might mistake it for black. His eyes were of course the brilliant white of all Arturion's. Even though Taylor was a guy he had to admit he was good looking but you could tell that he was sharper than your average pretty boy.

Taylor gave Ryne a puzzled look as if to say 'what's this about?'

"Nothing for you to worry about at the moment Taylor, get your family inside and handle telling them... gently," said Ryne sensing his confusion he added the last bit in a whisper.

"Don't worry I can handle this Ryne. But thanks anyway," said Taylor with a smile.

He guided his family to the war room as quickly as possible to avoid delaying needlessly. Taylor came to the door of the war room, grasped the handle and swung it wide open. He gestured for them to take a seat on one side of the table in the middle as he sat down on the other side facing them.

It seemed such a strange situation. It was almost like he was briefing his own family. So Taylor got straight to the point as there was no point tip-toeing around the truth. They needed to hear it as it was. So he began from the attack on his college, to the arrival at the Arturion mansion. Then came the complicated stuff; Taylor's head hurt from trying to explain what Tobias and the others had told him and Jamie but he tried his best.

Apart from shocked looks of surprise and the odd gasp from his mother his family didn't say a word. Then he reached the attack on the mansion and to how he'd manifested his powers after that he'd moved swiftly on to the retreat to where they were now

"Taylor, we love you, but this sounds ridiculous! I just can't bring myself to believe this," said Gregory in a rough voice as he rubbed his temples in frustration. Taylor wasn't surprised. His father, being an MP, had always been sceptical unless provided with evidence. He didn't trust a man's word only his actions.

"I'll prove it to you then," said Taylor.

He removed the maroon hoodie he'd worn the day before and threw it down on the table so he was just wearing a white t-shirt. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes until he felt the familiar brush of feathers all across his skin representing the oxygen particles in the air. With but a single thought, he allowed his arms to roar to life with the deadly sky blue fire. It coursed its way up and down his arms licking at his skin but still never burning.

"I never chose this, I have to be this to protect you all and if I don't then who the hell will?" said Taylor.

 A tear fell down his cheek as he thought of all his family had gone through because of him, and the life they could no longer have. Until this stupid war was ended once and for all. The tear only made it as far as his cheek before the heat from his flames extinguished it.

It was the first time Taylor had really thought about the heat his flames gave off on the few occasions they'd covered his skin. He let the flames die to leave the t-shirt burnt up to his shoulders. He stood there, his head hung low, tears flowing anew as the true reality of the situation hit him. And Goddid it hit him hard. It was as if a heavy weight had been dropped onto his chest and all he wanted was nothing more than for it to be gone. He felt his mother embrace him as he sank to the floor and wept for what felt like hours but was only a few minutes as his mother cradled him and spoke softly to him.