Chapter Sixteen

Hey! I know I've been gone a while, but I was working out some plot stuff for the future chapters. Enjoy :)

Disclaimer: This is a work of FICTION not meant to imply anything about anyone or any organization mentioned in the work.

Harry

Harry loved the New York City Ballet. He fit in surprisingly well, and he was dancing better than ever. That might also come from the fact he's been training like a maniac lately, but that's not important. New York was really starting to feel like home. Harry didn't get homesick for London like he used to, and his new friends were a large part of the reason why. The group he got sucked into was like a family. And now that Harry was part of the group, he got invited to the annual Friendsgiving they threw.

Most of the dancers couldn't go home for Thanksgiving, because the opening of Nutcracker was the next day, so the soloists hosted a dinner on Thanksgiving for the dancers and crew stuck in town. That included Harry this year, and he wouldn't be seeing his mom or sister until Christmas, since they can't make the trip up from Ohio because of Gemma's pregnancy. It hurt that Harry wouldn't see the baby's birth, but that's the life of a dancer, he supposed.

Harry got to the studio at six, per usual, and did his entire workout routine. He was getting a twinge in his knee, but he could ignore it. This happens all the time, it probably isn't a big deal. When he came upstairs to get ready for class, there was a noticeable excitement. It made sense, as today the company was beginning dress rehearsals. It was a huge deal, and the show was really coming together. Zayn was finally done with the costumes, even though he would be making alterations for the entire run of the show. Liam loosened up, thank god, and he plays Mother Ginger like he was born for it. Niall turns out to be made for Drosselmeyer, his dramatics bringing a new dynamic to the character. El, no matter how nervous she was, was crushing Marzipan. Like crushing it. The pliates she was doing with Harry had been paying off, as her turns were reaching new levels. Gigi looked gorgeous, but something was off. Her Dewdrop Fairy was lacking her usual energy, and as soon as she finished a run through, she looked like she might pass out. Maybe it's a cold or something.

Harry's favorite dancer to watch in rehearsal was Louis. He just had this presence, like as soon as he stepped into the studio you better watch him. The Candy Cane role isn't a huge one, but watching Louis, he made you believe he was the main character. His energy was insane, and he was wonderful with the kids he performed with. Watching him with them was a lot like watching Louis with his younger sisters. When Harry had shown up to the Tomlinson household to make cupcakes a few weeks ago, he didn't expect the blonde herd of children he was faced with. But watching Louis interact with them, the soft light in his eyes even when he acted annoyed was truly something to behold. Harry never had a younger sibling, and he always admired those who did.

Harry continued to walk through Lincoln Center, passing by exhausted corps de ballet members, the bags under their eyes complimented by the slow, sluggish way their legs moved. The corps de ballet was by far the most overworked members of the company during Nutcracker. While the soloists and principals got nights off, about three a week, the corps had to perform at every show. So, they were already exhausted, and it wasn't even opening night.

Opening the door to the studio, Harry was greeted with the sight he was gifted with every morning. Gigi, looking like she rolled out of her grave, El being weirdly peppy, and Louis being his usual self. At the moment, the sunlight from the floor to ceiling windows was shining through the strands of his hair, making his caramel-colored locks look more blonde. He was deep in conversation with Eleanor, who was blushing while she pulled on a black legwarmer for her knee that was acting up. Louis had a sly expression on his face, and Harry would think he was flirting with her if he didn't know for a fact Louis was straight as a kid's teeth before braces.