Chapter 4

The next morning, Sam runs out to get breakfast, leaving Dean to wake Mckenzie up and helps her get ready for the day. He turns on the TV and turns it to Tom & Jerry, her favorite, before sitting behind her on the bed and brushing through her tangles. Dean smiles every time she shrieks in laughter at something on the show as he twists her hair into two french braids. Her laughs aren't loud like most people's would be, and she only really makes sound when she laughs when it's one of those belly-laughs that people get when something's truly amused them, but to Dean, it's the most beautiful sound in the world.

Sam returns and finds Dean sitting against the headboard with Mckenzie sitting sideways on his lap, her head resting on his chest as they watch the cartoon. He sets the bags of food down and approaches, sitting on his own bed.

"So, I think it's safe to say we can rule out Nessie." He says, getting his brother's attention.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"I just drove past the Carlton house. There was an ambulance there. Will Carlton is dead." He informs Dean, surprising him.

"He drowned?" Dean guesses.

"Yep." Sam confirms. "In the sink."

"What the hell?"

What the hell? Mckenzie spells out, looking between her brothers with a smile. Sam glares at Dean, who shrugs slightly before looking down at the toddler.

"Mickey, don't say that." He says. She furrows her brow.

You did. She signs. Dean rolls his lips into his mouth, looking to his younger brother with a raised brow. Sam shrugs, mildly entertained at his brother's predicament of having to explain to the four year old why he can say certain things but she can't.

"Well, sweetheart, Dean's an adult." Sam says. "So there are some things that he and I say that we don't want you to say because you're not an adult. Kinda like how we can have grown up drinks and stay out late but you can't. Understand?" Mckenzie's brow furrows as she thinks before nodding.

I think so. Sam smiles and stands, lifting Mckenzie from Dean's lap and carrying her over to the table, plopping her down in one of the chairs. He pulls out a styrofoam box of pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon, placing it in front of her.

"Here." He says, cutting up the pancakes after pouring syrup on them. "You want milk or juice, bug?"

Chocolate milk. She signs. Sam nods and fixes her glass, setting it down on the table in front of her.

Be careful. Don't spill. Mckenzie nods and Sam ruffles her hair slightly before walking back to his bed.

Mckenzie is resting on Sam's hip as they walk down to the dock, finding Bill Carlton sitting on the bench again. "Mr. Carlton?" Sam calls, making the old man look up as the siblings approach. "We'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind."

"We're from the department-"

"I don't care who you're with." Mr. Carlton interrupts. "I've answered enough questions today."

"Your son said he saw something in that lake." Sam presses. "What about you? You ever see anything out there?" There's no response and Sam sighs. Mckenzie takes the time to slide from Sam's arms and stand beside him, wrapping her arm around his leg as she rests her head against it. "Mr. Carlton, Sophie's drowning and Will's death- we think there might be a connection to you or your family."

"My children are gone. It's...it's worse than dying." He says. Mckenzie frowns at the sadness in the man's voice. "Go away. Please."

Sam and Dean and begin walking back to the car but Mckenzie doesn't follow. Instead, she stays in her spot and stares at the man on the dock. Sam turns around when he realizes his sister sin't following him and sees her approaching the man.