chapter 5.2

Dropping your heavy book bag with a sigh, the satchel hits the carpet of your dorm room floor with a dull thud, much like your current mood. Plopping into your old swivel chair, you pause to rest your head in your arms on your desk, unable to muster the energy to study just yet. Instead, your head was filled with frustration.

"I wanted to stay and hang out with them," you mutter to the empty room, "I wanted to be with Mark and stay until their pregame. I want him to put his arm around me again". Your words were a whinier tone than you would ever allow around other people. More so, around even yourself in the privacy of your now single room, but this time you allow it to voice the heavy grievance in your chest.

I finally get a boyfriend who I really like and I always have to leave early because of this.

"Man, fuck this scholarship," you huff, angrily unzipping your bag.

You slam the forsaken book, The Odyssey, onto your ill-fated desk. If this were a comic and your desk had a thought bubble, it would say, "fuck you too, y/n". Luckily, it isn't, and the inanimate furniture sits there quietly, unable to try your patience further.

"Damn this book," you curse, smacking it aside to make room for your laptop, "and screw this essay!".

Letting out a deep exhale, you calmly open your laptop screen. You smile sweetly. "Let's get this bread".

The following afternoon was filled with the sounds of rapid typing and pages flipping, your concentration unwavering from the callous literature report birthed from your tired mind. You imagine if it were an actual baby, you'd toss it off Mt. Olympus like Hera did Hephaestus. Alas, your laptop is far too expensive.

Working away at a particularly troubling passage, your ringtone brought you out of the academic trance. You fish for the device in your bag, eager to find an excuse for a break. Finally finding it under an old lab report, you check to see it's Yuna calling.

"Hey, bitch," you answer casually, holding the phone between your ear and shoulder as you continue typing.

"Hi, slut," Yuna replies in the same tone, the sound bringing a smile to your face. It's really good to hear her voice, especially now when you need a destresser. "Guess who just finished her PT for the day".

"The baddest bitch in Seoul?," you feign seriousness, leaning back to stretch your arms over your head.

"Yes ma'am," Yuna confirms, "I'll be able to throw it back in no time. Doctor says I'm doing really good and I should be able to walk some with crutches soon which is a damn relief since this wheelchair makes me look short".

You snort. Yuna, funny as always.

God, I love her.

"Thank goodness, wouldn't want you stealing my whole identity!" You spin around in your chair, resolving to take a small break. "But seriously, Yuna, that's great news".

"Thanks, babe," you can hear her smile through the phone. Hospital wifi is unfortunately not good enough for video calling, so you guys have to make do with old-fashioned audio-only. "Listen, Ten dropped by earlier and said they have a game tonight so he couldn't stay for as long today. He already left a while ago but," she sighs, "I don't know... there's no reason for me to feel bad, but this is his first game I'm going to miss since we started dating".

"You want me to wish him luck for you?," you ask carefully, knowing what your best friend was getting at. She must be so upset about the things she's missing because of the accident.

"You're the best"

"No, you," you retort, standing up and pacing around the dorm to stretch your legs, wincing slightly at the tingling numbness in your butt.