Chapter 2: The Final Test

I lay awake on Fours bed with him sleeping on a mattress on the floor next to me. I still don't feel comfortable sleeping in the same bed with him. He always takes the floor though, being the selfless loving boyfriend he is.

It's still dark outside. I check my watch, it reads 5:30 am. I look down at him. He lays on his stomach, his back rising and falling with his breaths. I decide to get up quietly and take a shower. When I come out he is awake.

"Morning," he says sleepily. "Couldn't sleep?" He asks.

"No," I mumble," I'm too nervous for the test today."
"Tris," he says walking toward me "you're gonna pass that test I know you are." He sets his hands on my waist pulling me into his embrace.

I can only hope he's right...

I press my face into his shoulder, his arms curled around my waste in the silence. We stay there for a minute enjoying each other's company. He pulls back, kisses my forehead and goes to get ready.

                                       ****

We are all gathered in the huge room for testing. There has to be at least a hundred Dauntless in there most of them there to watch. There is sound filling the room completely.

"Hey you ready?!" Christina yells from only a few feet away with all the noise.

"Ready as I'll ever be!" I reply

"Welcome everyone! To the Final Test for our soon to be Dauntless!" Max says standing at the front of the room. The room goes into a clatter of yelling and clapping and cheering.

"First up, Peter!" Eric announces also standing at the front of the room. Peter makes his way up to the front where he is lead into the fear landscape room.
He comes out and more and more people are tested until there's only a few of us left.

"Next up, Tris!" Erica announces. I grasp Four's hand.

"You're gonna do great. Be brave Tris" Four says and discreetly kisses me on the forehead. I make my way up to the front and am guided into the smaller room for the test.

"Good luck Tris" Max says. He is handed a black box, opens it and takes the needle out. I feel a sharp pain as the needle plunges into my neck, but as quick as it went in, it is out.

The room starts to go dark and I enter my simulation.

I go through my first fear, being devoured by crows. As terrifying as it is, I get through that one easily.

My next one is being burnt alive. I am tied to a pole and suddenly a fire rises. My hands are bound by a rope. I quickly burn the ropes off with the fire and plunge my hands into a deep puddle of water. And just like that my fear is over.

The next one I am in the ocean, waves crashing over my head. This fear, I have learned, symbolizes my fear of losing control. In order to gain control I have to get fully above the waves. After much struggling and gasping for air I do. And my next fears come.

I face the fear of death, where men are trying to reach for me in my room, at my old Abnegation house. After that, I manage to get through my fear of killing my family. That is the most painful one by far. After I face it, I expect to be done with my simulation and wake up in the room, but I don't.

Instead my eyes open and I am in Four's apartment. He is walking towards me. His lips press to mine and he kisses me. What's going on? I think. This isn't one of my fears I only have six. Then he starts to push me towards the bed. I fall back and be hovers over me kissing my neck. Oh. I think. OH. He grabs the hem of my shirt and starts to take it off of me. "Four stop" I say. "What?" He replies "I thought you were Dauntless." He starts to take my shirt all the way off. I swiftly kick him in the ribs. Groaning, he falls to the side and just like that I get through my final fear.