8. Unavoidable Family Lineage

Comenzar desde el principio

However, with only half an hour to spare before the afternoon classes began, Malfoy sauntered into the hall. On instinct, he beelined right for the Gryffindor table, coming to stand in front of Harry and his friends. You had half a mind to tell him to leave before he even said anything, but you decided against it.

"Seen your pal Hagrid lately?" Draco asked. Like clockwork, the same question every day.

"None of your business." Ron replied without looking up.

"I'm afraid he won't be a teacher much longer." Malfoy continued. He mocked sorrow, but was wearing his signature smirk. "Father's not very happy about my injury. He's complained to the school governors. And to the Ministry of Magic. Father's got a lot of influence, you know."

"So that's why you're putting it on." Harry said. "To try to get Hagrid fired."

Draco raised a brow, confirming Harry's suspicions without a word.

"And a lasting injury like this -" Draco gave a huge, fake sigh. "Who knows if my arm will ever be the same again?"

When it came to Draco Malfoy, ignoring was better than engaging. Nothing good ever came from interacting with him, unless you considered a lingering headache long after he had gone 'good'.

Getting involved wasn't wise, but someone needed to wipe the smirk off his face, and Harry, Ron and Hermione didn't seem bothered enough to do so. Today, you weren't particularly in the ignoring mood.

"Oh, what injury Malfoy?" You asked exasperatedly.

He turned slowly to face you. There was a look on his face, almost an excited gleam in his eyes as if he considered you a new target. He took a step down the table towards you.

"I'll have you know." He started pompously. "I could have lost my arm."

You rolled your eyes. "It was a scratch."

"That beast nearly made me bleed out." He seethed.

"By your own fault." You quipped back.

"My fault?" He repeated. "Or that oaf Hagrid's for not having enough brains to teach a single lesson?"

"Keep talking, Draco, and I'll give you a real injury." You said threateningly.

You had no real intentions of hurting Malfoy. It would get you in more trouble than he was worth and put you a target on your back. However, it left you satisfied to see the boy's hesitation in snapping back at you. It was clear he believed your threat enough that he wasn't willing to chance it. It was a victory you'd missed out on during your spat on the train.

Draco's pale eyes narrowed, looking resentful that you had come out on top. He muttered something to Crabbe and Goyle, and the three of them started towards the Slytherin table.

"That's a fight I'd like to see." George said amusedly as Draco took his seat.

"Well, we all know who'd win." Fred replied with a grin, bumping you with his shoulder.

The end of lunch arrived. With the Time-Turner hidden beneath your sweater, (surprisingly still a secret from your ever persistent friends) you left the hall, en route to the courtyard for Herbology.

The afternoon sun illuminated the grounds, sending sparkles down the rippling surface of the Black Lake. A light breeze blew over you as you started towards the Greenhouses. Through the glass, you could see yellow robes already gathered around the long tables.

You caught a glimpse of Hagrid's cabin. The chimney smoked. The curtains were open. The pumpkins looked as though someone was still tending to them. But, there was no sign of Hagrid.