twenty

it is strange, really. the way time seems to evaporate almost. dissipate, sometimes soft and sweet like cotton candy on one's tongue. other times like the harsh ripping of a bandaid off sore skin. the sensations strong, but fleeting.

looking back at it, jeongin saw the day only in snapshots, the memories brief and broken apart. it seemed to pass like a racing train into a tunnel, disappearing into darkness without any way to stop it. jeongin didn't know what he would find when he emerged from the tunnel.

hyunjin stayed true to his promise of making the day worth it, although jeongin never doubted it. anything was worth it when it was time spent with hyunjin, there was no price he would not pay.

it was not that they did anything particularly special, rather, it was the way hyunjin did everything as though it was the last time he would ever be able to.

maybe it was.

they wandered around the town during the day; the marketplace was open due to the pleasant weather, and so they spent the day ducking out of sight when someone would pass by, giggling amongst themselves and shushing each other.

evening came quickly, and hyunjin led him down the path that seemed so natural already. as they stepped into the field, a sense of familiarity washed over him, the long grass swaying around them. they arrived in time to see the silverflies awaken, and jeongin felt as though he were watching old friends emerge from the soft tufts of grass.

as the shimmering creatures floated above and around them like stars, hyunjin pulled at jeongin's sleeve, and before the younger could react, he was pulled into a hug. hyunjin burrowed his head into jeongin's neck and fisted his hands in the back of his shirt.

they stood their for a while, jeongin running his hand through hyunjin's hair, letting the rise and fall of hyunjin's chest against his lull them to calmness. despite the beauty around them, the familiar intimateness they were sharing, jeongin felt sadness blossom in his stomach, a roiling, nauseating, ugly emotion.

he tightened his hold around hyunjin a little bit more.

when they finally made their way back to the little cottage, the night had begun to grow cold. jeongin felt it even more because hyunjin had forced him to wait outside the door in the freezing cold. for what? only hyunjin knew.

jeongin huffed, glaring at the puff of breath that floated away in the air. he hugged himself tighter before turning around and knocking furiously on the door, "are you-"

the door opened slowly and he trailed off as hyunjin's head poked out, his eyes sparkling under the light of the lamp hanging above the door. he only made a 'follow me' gesture and vanished inside, and jeongin let out a breath of laughter, not wasting any more time in waiting outside and freezing his butt off.

walking down through the hallway, he noticed that hyunjin had left all the lights off. even the curtains were drawn almost completely closed, only a sliver of moonlight snaking its way in. turning into the living room, he froze in his place, his mouth dropping open.

placed carefully around the room, dozens of candles lit up the dark space, shadows flickering and dancing across the walls in fluttering patterns. the couch had been shoved into a corner, a record player placed precariously on top of it— something jeongin had only seen in movies, even his grandparents hadn't owned one.

an enchanting tune was playing softly, and jeongin had never heard anything like it before. the rise and fall of the melody felt like silk slipping over skin, gentle and smooth. the subtle scent of forest hung in the air, something jeongin had come to associate with hyunjin.

hyunjin stood in the middle of his decorations, one of his palms curled over something jeongin couldn't see, and beckoned him closer with his free hand.

"close your eyes." his hand was taken in the nymph's soft ones, and he felt something cool being slipped onto his finger. "okay, open them."

the simple silver band, big enough to fit his pinkie and engraved with the word 'stay'. the ring from the marketplace. the ring that had caught his attention.

the metal glinted warmly under the candlelight, and jeongin looked up at hyunjin, struggle to keep back the prickling of tears. hyunjin pressed his lips to the back of his hand, "think of it as something to remember me by. so that you never forget me."

"i would never forget you, ever." jeongin pushed a strand of hair from hyunjin's face, leaning forward on his toes to press a lingering kiss to the nymph's forehead.

the music crested behind them, a sudden surge of powerful music, and hyunjin stepped back, stooping into a graceful bow, "would you give me the honour of one last dance, my love?"

jeongin beamed as he took hyunjin's outstretched hand, "it would be my pleasure, darling."

hyunjin pulled him to his chest, his nimble movements never failing to awe jeongin, sweeping him along to rise and fall of the music.

it seemed natural, the way jeongin fell into step with him. as if they'd done this a hundred times before. the candlelight flitted against hyunjin, creating sparks in his eyes, flecks of gold painting his skin. eventually they weren't dancing, simply swaying in time to the music, their foreheads pressed and bathing in each other's presence.

it was different from dancing on the lake. it was a little less fantastical, fairytale-like. instead it felt familiar, warm, and maybe that was even better.

maybe because it was reminiscent of a home.

hyunjin was reminiscent of home.