Chapter 1: Eyes of a stranger

"I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference."

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

My name is Tessa, I am twenty-two years old, and I did not have what you would call a happy childhood. For some reason still unknown to me when my birth parents passed, I was placed in the care of a mean old couple who lived down the street, known as the Harrisons. Since day one of living with them, they hit, kicked, punched, and nearly beat me to death. Sometimes they would lock me in the basement without food or water for days on end. 

I wasn't alone in the torment, I was adopted along with my older brother, Mark. He helped me escape when I found out I was pregnant, and I haven't seen him since. I also have a seven-year-old daughter named Mallory, I had her when I was fifteen. My life's mission is to keep her as far away as possible from her biological father.

Currently, I am staying at a hotel with my daughter. Unfortunately, I will have to find a cheaper one because I cannot afford another night here. I'm running out of cash, fast, due to Mallory being sick. I have worked almost every odd job known to man and due my lack of an education, I'm running out of options for work.

I was lying down on the rusty hotel bed next to my daughter, listening to her soft snores when I heard a knock on the door.

KNOCK.

KNOCK.

KNOCK.

The hair on the back of my neck stood up as a familiar voice yelled, "Open up!" It was the woman who adopted me, Mrs. Harrison.

"We know you are in there, Tessa!" said Mr. Harrison.

Mallory was still sleeping and started to wake up. She wipes her big blue eyes and looks at me in confusion. "Mommy, who is that?"

I had to think and act fast. "No one sweetie." I lied to her. She believes the only reason we move around so much is due to my work, she doesn't need to know any more than that. "I just need you to get up and get dressed.... very quietly."

"Where are we going?" She whispered.

"Let mommy figure that out, you still need to get dressed. Okay, sweetie?"

She nods her little head of blonde hair. "Okay."

I had to take a second to thank the lord for giving me such an obedient daughter. After we both get dressed, I grab the go bag which is filled with the bare essentials. I lift the window of our hotel room and throw the bag through it. Next, I crawl through the window and jump on the ground, with a loud thud, I land on my feet. I look back up to see my confused daughter staring down at me.

"Mallory, I need you to jump."

She shakes her head no; she has a fear of heights.

"Mallory, please. Mommy doesn't have time for this."

She shakes her head again.

"Please sweetie, do it for mommy?"

"Okay." She jumps out of the window, and I catch her in my arms.

I kiss her on the forehead. "Thank you." I set her down on the floor and after she finds her footing, she stands next to me.

I pick up the go bag and throw it over my shoulder. I hold my hand out and Mallory gladly takes it as we sneak into the car. I open the door for her and hand her the bag as she sits down in the backseat, I close her door. I walk over to my door and open it; I climb into the driver's seat. As soon as I start the car, I see the Harrisons out of the rearview mirror and drive as fast as I can.