She broke down in distress, covered her ears with her hands and ran out of his room. She'd just delivered a glass of beer to him, as he'd requested. Her efforts at placing the glass were clumsy so it toppled over and spilled on the rug.

"One of these days, you'll be stuck in a hellhole, unable to fend for yourself. I'll hunt her down and destroy you both together," he snarled.

"You're lying to me! Mom would never do that!" She fisted the hem of her minidress.

"Get lost already."

This wasn't the first time it happened. But something in her wished that it would be the last. The next day, he came down with the flu. Badly. Even when she fed him chicken soup and waited for him to at least say, "thank you", he turned on the bed, his back to her.

"You're so stupid. Can't even make edible soup. I hate you." Was all the gratitude he had to express.

Gosh, she shouldn't be crying again because she'd heard that so many times, but it still hurt. Her dad drove the knife in deeper and deeper until she was sliced open, void of reason, completely unable to understand love. Until she hated love.

"I___ can we just stop talking about him, please?"

"What did he do to you?" His tone was no longer teasing. She felt that he was concerned about her now.

"Forget it." She snapped. If she thought about him one more time, she'd kill him with her own bare hands and throw his body into the Thames, so help her God.

"Dress sexy," he appealed. She couldn't make out his next words, but she thought he added, best friend.

"I said dress sexy, not make me swoon

"I said dress sexy, not make me swoon." He hung his coat at the door. She watched him saunter to the middle of the room where she stood still, trying to process what was going on.

"Uh..." Her thoughts flickered to her bare neck.

"Could you help me fasten my necklace, please?"

She showed him the string of silver pearls in her palm. His actions caused her stomach to flutter and jump as his fingers grazed the G spot on her neck. He was touching her exactly where it turned her on. It all felt so natural. Why did she have this inkling that she knew him before?

"All done." His fingers lingered on her neck though.
Trembling, he swept aside her curls on one shoulder, leaned closer and whispered, "you look stunning".

She laughed, albeit edgy.