Dance Little Jean

I managed to get all three kids to take a nap at the same time which means I too, can take a nap. Once I have a snack, of course. I've been so busy getting ready for Mom's visit that I had forgotten to eat anything yet. I met up with Gram in the dining room as she was just finishing up with a sandwich. "When does Mom's plane land?" I asked.

She looked at her watch before answering. "A couple of hours yet. I'll head out soon. Would you like to join me?"

"I'd like to, but I'd better not. I just got the kids to sleep." I went into the kitchen to make a sandwich and get some juice. When I walked back into the dining room, I nearly dropped my plate at the sight of Jimmy Dad. He was dressed up in his Sunday best, complete with a tie and a clean cowboy hat. Gram and I both stared at him a little wide-eyed.

"What are you all gussied up for?" Gram asked with a snicker.

"Yeah, what's the occasion?" I asked as if I couldn't guess.

"I'm not all gussied up." he argued innocently to Gram before he answered me. "Just thought I'd run in a get your mom for ya."

Gram smiled. "You? You are going in to pick up Sarah Beth?"

"Yeah. Mack and Harold running the chores today. I figured you could use the break from all the running around you've had to do lately."

"Uh huh," Gram shot me a gleeful glance. I grinned like a Cheshire cat. "Purely out of the kindness of your heart..."

"Well, if you would rather..."

She raised her hands in the air. "No, no. You go right on ahead. I appreciate the consideration, son."

I laughed at her sarcasm, nearly choking on my food. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do," I added with a wink.

"Call if'n y'all will be late."

He huffed in frustration. "You guys are hopeless! You know that?" with that he stalked off towards the front door.

"Don't forget the ring, son!" Gram called after him. To me she said, "Ten bucks says they don't come home 'til morning."

"No way. I don't have ten bucks to lose."

"Hey," May said in greeting as she walked in. "Where's Jimmy going all dressed up?"

"Mom's plane lands in a couple of hours."

"I see." She smiled mischievously. "Ten bucks says they don't come home 'til morning."

"I already said that." Gram laughed.

"No way, I'm betting against that."

*

Good thing I didn't bet because Jimmy and Mom did not come back to the house until lunchtime. When they did come home, they brought Papi with them and announced they planned to get married that evening at the house. Papi was to perform the ceremony. Gram of course, went into high gear calling everyone and preparing everything she thought was needed. Meaning food. It amazes me how fast she and Melinda can whip up a feast.

By seven o'clock, Jimmy Dad and Mom had exchanged their vows in Gram's living room and dinner had been eaten. We sat around the room as sang along to the songs Jimmy played on his guitar. I could sing along to the songs I knew from our front porch concerts of gospel music. The old country stuff, I didn't know but I tapped my foot to the rhythm and enjoyed the show.

Papi took the guitar from Jimmy to play a song I hadn't ever heard of and I certainly didn't expect a preacher to sing such a song. "This is an old song by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band called Dance Little Jean. Tonight, Magpie; you are Jean."