The Road Ahead

Moody and Ruby's first night as a married couple was aboard the Maritime Express leaving New Brunswick heading to Quebec, in the tiny sleeper car Moody had reserved for their travels. Although it was not a glamorous first evening, Moody did everything to make it as perfect as can be. He thought of everything from taking the warm wool blanket from the trunk prior to check-in, to securing Ruby a comfortable pillow for the overnight commute. He arranged the space so that their seats and little table provided a quiet space to share dinner and offer the semblance of a fancy wedding night. The train attendant arrived and presented a small bottle of sparkling cider, "I understand congratulations are in order. On behalf of the crew, we wanted to offer our best to you this evening as you ride with us".

"Thank you so much, this is a lovely surprise" Moody added "and could I please ask you for an Old Fashion when you have a moment".

As the train chugged along, they sipped their drinks and snacked on fancy cheese and biscuits with their feet up while watching the sunset from their little cabin. The pink and orange sky was like a gift for Ruby as she looked out across the land and felt truly calm for the first time in months.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked as he watched her tip her head against the window. "Are you sad at all to be leaving?"

She turned to look at him in the eyes and smiled slightly, thinking how conscientious and careful he was with her, even now, even after having pretty much handed over his freedom to help her. "I'm just a bit tired...but I'm also suddenly and absolutely at peace, and that's because of you... and I am trying to think how in the world I'll ever be able to repay you for this incredible kindness". Her little sideways grin crept up on her face, and her eyes, so soft and full of gratitude were enough for him in that moment.

He leaned back in his chair as if blown away by what he was hearing. "Are you kidding me? You don't need to repay me".

She moved the little table to the side and leaned forward to look at him closer, inching a tentative hand toward his. "Moody, what is this relationship to you?"

He held her hand and leaned forward to look at her too..."What do you mean? We're married. It means everything"

"But how do you see me? I've made so many mistakes, how on earth can you see past all of it?"

He stood up and shut the little cabin door, clicking the latch so they would not be disturbed and then returned to sit next to her on the elogated bench meant for sleeping. She had removed her hat and her jacket, her beautifully designed hair was falling loosely around her face in blonde waves that framed her face. The sky behind her, a fiery backdrop to his life story, was breathtaking and he felt his throat catch. Gently, he brushed the wisps of hair behind her ear and touched her face. "Do you need to ask me that? You don't see it coming through me?"

"I don't know what I'm seeing. I was fooled in the past so I'm afraid of trusting myself" she whispered.

She told him about her meeting with James the evening before. She was very open about how confused she'd been seeing him there and how he's offered to come back to her and have a life together. She felt guilty about the entire conversation and wanted to start things off honestly with her new husband. "I know I shouldn't have entertained a conversation with him, I was just so stunned".

He continued to listen attentively and then asked the question he didn't really want to ask "but it could have made everything right for you and your baby, what made you turn him away?"

Ruby was confused wondering if that meant he would have preferred for her to go with James. "Then you wouldn't not have had to suffer this burden. I'm so sorry Moody, I thought you wanted this!" she said as she sat up and turned toward the window. He realised then what an idiot he was and how awful he could be with his words. "No, that's not what I meant Ruby" he said sitting up and moving to bring her back into his embrace. "What I meant was" he searched his words, holding her face and looking into her eyes..."what I meant was that you wanted to be with him until he turned you away for Diana. You have his child and he was begging you to come back to him... so I'm wondering how I got so lucky and ended up marrying you today". He searched her eyes for some understanding and hoped it had come out right. "I just want to know what happened in that moment for you to chose me".