Chapter 10: To Live and Lie

Inaishingi.

When Tanya first heard the word Inaishingi, she had no idea what it meant. Was it a dish? A martial art technique? The name of a song? She didn't know anything about the Ago Tribe at that time, and when she first learned about them, she never expected that this foreign tribe would one day become Eunseom's new home. Or that he'd go to war and risk his life for them.

To her, the Ago Tribe was an insignificant tribe, but to Eunseom, it was family. And to the Ago Tribe, Eunseom was Inaishingi.

Eunseom was Inaishingi.

"He is a legendary leader of the Ago Tribe who once united all the clans into one single tribe," Myungjin had once explained to her. "Inaishingi, who existed two hundred years ago, was the only one strong enough to fight against Aramun Haesulla."

Eunseom was Inaishingi, someone who could fight a god of the likes of Aramun Haesulla.

But Tanya knew him better. Eunseom wasn't a hero, legendary leader, god, or whatever. He was just Eunseom.

So when that Ago slave in the marketplace had called Eunseom Inaishingi, Tanya had naturally assumed it was just a mistake. But then she saw Eunseom stumble and his face go pale, and she knew there was so much more to it. It was true. Eunseom had lied to her.

Why?

Eunseom was her Eunseom, but he was also that foreign hero Inaishingi, and Tanya didn't know who he was anymore.

And now he was gone.

*

Tanya searched all over the marketplace, and when she couldn't find Eunseom there, she searched the Fortress of Fire, but neither was he in Saya's room, nor the patio, nor the workshop.

She returned to the market, but had no destination in mind. Her feet ached from all the walking, and she grew antsy from the noise around her. The streets were as busy as ever, and voices and thoughts from all directions infiltrated her mind. It made it difficult to focus and come up with a course of action when all she wanted to do was find Eunseom.

She was so stupid. She should have gone after him immediately, but a moment of hesitation had been enough to lose sight of him.

A hot, prickly feeling at the back of her eyes forced her to blink. She didn't know where to look. Why was Arthdal so big? What if Eunseom had run off somewhere far away?

She leaned against the wall of a house, then slid to the ground. Yes, very unbecoming for the High Priestess, but she didn't care. No one would recognize her anyway, with her face hidden by her cloak.

People passed by her, and Tanya watched them. In the streets of Arthdal, everyone appeared equal at first. Merchants mingled with slaves, slaves with soldiers, soldiers with lords. And there she was, the High Priestess, hiding in the shadows of a house. At least no one paid attention to her.

But one person did.

The shadow of a tall figure fell over Tanya. She didn't even have to look up to know who it was. She sighed, then patted the spot beside her. "Sit with me."

Yangcha sat down as ordered. "What are you doing here?" he asked.

Tanya shrugged. "I just got back from my date."

"You said you'd only be gone until noon." Yangcha looked up at the low afternoon sun as if to emphasize his point. "Where were you?"

Tanya hesitated. Should she tell him that Eunseom was missing? Should she ask for his help? It wouldn't be out of place to order him to look for Saya. But she didn't know in which situation or condition Yangcha would find Eunseom. It was too risky.