Chapter 3

"David?"

     I felt more than saw Sylvia run past me and embrase the figure still holding a gun to my face. "Umm, the gun Sylvia? Maybe it isn't a good time to hug him?"

     "Oh right," the figure, presumably David, said. "Sorry about that." Then he turned to Sylvia and the two began talking and hugging more. I tried not to listen in on thier conversation too much, but from what I caught he was her brother who had got time off from the military for a suprise visit. I was preoccupied studying the room, and the other inhabitants.

     We were in the reception area of the hotel, and it was a fairly sandard one. Reception desk straight ahead, sofa aginst the wall to my left, more seating area in the center of the room to my right. I couldn't see much in the darkness beyind that, but there was a patch of black on black that I was pretty sure was an open door, probably leading to a stairwell based on where it was, and I'd seen motion in there, and what looked like someone putting out a cigarette.

     Behind the counter there was someone else as well. They kept out of sight well enough, but I heard some movement between a small lull in the others' conversation. I didn't begrudge them for remaining hidden, even though we'd established that we were friendlies.

     I turned back to the conversation just as Sylvia was saying that she'd wait for everyone to tell what had happened to her over the past few weeks. David turned to me, "All right" he said, "Let's get us up to safety." He pulled out a small flashlight and walked in the direction of what I thought was the stairwell. He kept the flashlight pointed down, but I could see in the ambient light that I'd been right about that and the guard in it.

     As my eyes adjsuted to the dim lighting, I could see a few more details. The man was leaning against the far wall with what appeared to be a revolver in his hand. The revolver was at his side, and not quite pointed at us. "It's alright, they're cool." Apparently this was good enough for the man, who holstered his weapon.

     The stairwell was lighter than I'd imagined. A kerosene lamp burned dimly at the top of the first set of stairs, off to the corner. I'd almost asked why they didn't light the bottom too until i realized that would be announcing thier prescence to anyone who stumbled into the building. As we started up the stairs, I heard the gaurd close the door. I looked back in time to see him fitting a piece of rope, the other end tied to the handrail, around the doorknob, holding the door securely closed.

     As I followed, I picked up bits of conversation here and there. Sylvia asked how her parents were doing, and that got the mixed response one would expect of someone survivng in an apocalypse. Shortly we were at the door to the second story access. I could tell from David's body language that he was reluctant to continue. He wanted more time with his sister before all of the introductions and questions and stories began.

     Despite that though, he pushed open the door. I followed the two of them through the doorway and was quite suprised at what I'd found waiting for me.

    I had expected a hallway, but It was definitly a room. It looked as if someone had torn the walls of a few suites down to form a public area that was about 100 feet by 60. Windows on the far wall lit the room. Chairs and Sofas lined the walls, with a few tables scattered about, chairs around those as well.