Chapter 1: Fear Simulation Training

Start from the beginning

"What's the needle for?" I ask shakily, my eyes wide.

He looks at me, "Not a fan of needles I take it?" He replies.

"It may sound silly but yah....they're actually one of my worst fears, have been since I was little."

"Well you might have to face that fear twice today then." He says.

He sees the even more confused and worried look on my face and explains, "The transmitter in the serum allows me to see images inside your mind. It also harnesses your worst fears and puts you through them. To get out of the fear and simulation you have to either figure out a way to face your fear, or calm down. And using these electrodes it allows your simulation to appear on the screen for record as well."

A little overwhelmed by the surplus of information all I manage to say is, "So you can see inside my mind? Isn't that....well, a little invasive?"

He looks at me, at first a bit impatiently, and then calmly replies, "Look Tris, most people's fears aren't super personal or private. In fact, many tend to not know their real fears themselves. This training exercise is 1. A way to learn how to overcome your fears, without being in real danger, so when you are out in real danger you know how to handle it, and
2. To learn what your real fears are. The average amount of fears one has is 10-15 really bad ones, but don't worry you won't have to face them all at once. Per simulation you only go through about one or two."

His explanation calms me down a bit but I'm still weary about the needle...

"You ready?" He asks.

"I guess so....I mean y'a know I only have to undergo one of my worst fears to allow me to go through my others." I reply worried and a bit sarcastically.

"Just relax." he says as he takes my arm and turns it so the inner part of my arm is facing upward.

"On the count of three" he adds, "1...2....3" he says as he eases the needle into my arm, and presses down on the plunger. The pain of the needle makes me wince and I look up at his deep blue eyes to stay calm.

"There that wasn't so bad now was it?" He smirks as he eases the needle out of my arm.

"No I guess not." I say, my breath releasing.

"The serum will go into effect in exactly one minute." Four says, "Remember in order to get out of the simulation you have to slow your heart rate and your breathing or figure out a way to overcome your fears."

The signs of fear immediately start overtaking my body. My heart racing, my palms sweaty, my brain buzzing, my eyes wide holding a worried look, I look down at my legs.

"Hey," he says as his hand curls around the side of my head to lift my eyes up to his, "be brave Tris"

His eyes are the last thing I see, his hand around my head the last thing I feel, be brave Tris, are the last words I hear as I slowly succumb to the serum....

****

"HELP" I scream, waking from the fear landscape with a start.

"Tris it's me it's ok, it's ok you're fine calm down" Four reassures me with a calm, tender voice.

I look at him tears swelling in my eyes. "That was the worst thing I have experienced in my life!" I sob as I bring my knees into my chest, still sitting in the chair.