Our Song (AVENGERS X READER ANGST)

I was new to the avengers, but not that new. Being here for almost two months. At the tower where we all lived together peacefully.

Ok not so peacefully, but good enough. It was a bit overwhelming when I joined but I learned to enjoy the chaos. Our dysfunctional family as some of the others say. All of us have some sort of trauma. Even Peter who is only 15. On the other hand I'm only 29. Still kinda young but, not as young as him and Wanda. Wanda being 20.

It was a bit late, 12 am. Not my typical bedtime. Which is usually 1 on a good day. I was on my laptop, going through some last minute reports for SHIELD. Working silently with only the hum of the tower to keep my ears busy. Until I heard a creek. Coming from the door to be exact.

"Y/n?" Peter spoke in a very timid voice.

"Bubba what's wrong?"

"Can I stay with you? I-I had a um nightmare and-"

"Come here." I opened my arms up for him which he raced into. Snuggling into my chest as soon as possible with quiet sniffles slowly turning into cries. "It's okay, bubba. Shh, shh. It was a nightmare and nothing more. You're safe. I got you."

"Yo-you were dead..." I grabbed his hand and placed his fingers at my wrist.

"I'm alive. My heart's beating and it's not gonna stop anytime soon." He quieted down. I rocked us slightly before he was practically asleep. He just didn't want to just yet. I smiled at it. I love him, I really do. But not in the romantic sense, more motherly.

"You don't have to speak. Don't need to talk to me. Baby, I already know. The shadows in your head. They've got you down again. Got you feelin' low. But it's time to rest, now. Let it all melt now. Wipe your tears. The sun's already set, now. Won't you go to sleep, now? I'll see you in your dreams. 'Cause I'm right here. Darlin', I'm right here. Close your pretty eyes, my butterfly. Baby, have no fear.."

And I fell asleep with him.

I woke up the same way.

"Peter, bubba?" I asked, seeing if he's awake. Nothing. I somehow, I don't know- got out of his arms. I tucked the blankets around him before walking to my bathroom. Performing my morning rituals. Brush my hair teeth, deodorant, dress, etc.

"Y/n?" He asked as I stepped out. "Why do you care for me like this?"

"I grew up in a decent orphanage. I took care of some of the younger kids and helped some of my peers out. I do everything in my power to help people.I've always been one to care for people like this. It's a part of me."

"But last night... the song?"

"Let me tell you the story behind it. Um, I had a friend. She was a really good friend. We were inseparable. But she had depression. We bonded over some music, and wrote it. Together. Because we couldn't live without the other. She was suicidal."

"Are you guys still friends?"

"No... we had a um falling out. She uh. She ran away. Didn't leave a trace of herself. They never found her."

A few weeks later...

"Whose this?" I answered my phone.

"No.. no it can't. She promised.." My knees promptly buckled under myself. "But-"

"Ms. L/n, do you require assistance?" I didn't respond. "I'm sending the closest avenger to you as we speak." I didn't care. All I care about is... her. She's, she promised me. Promised me she wouldn't- I could've. I shouldn't have let her go....

"Y/n! What's wrong?" I don't look up. Just sat there dejectedly. Waiting for something, I don't know what. Feeling numb and that shattered to my very core. Staring at the phone that sat in front of me. "Y/n?" Clint asked. I didn't react. Instead I just stayed. "Y/n, can you talk to me, what happened?" My lip quivers slightly as he sits in front of me. "How many fingers am I holding up?" 3...

I open my mouth to speak, barely making out a raspy whisper... "3."

"Come on." He pulled me upward and took me to the living room and sat me down. Leaning me against his chest. "Friday can you tell me what's going on?"

"It appears Ms. L/n is in distress. Most likely triggered by a call from her cellular device."

"What else?"

"That's all I know. I am very sorry. Do you wish to bring someone else in for assistance?"

"Yeah, yes. Uh. Anyone, everyone, I dunno..." He brushed his hands through my hair soothingly... just like she did. I only sobbed more.

"Come on Y/n, talk to me." Soon enough the Avengers piled in, one by one. Starting with Steve and Bucky.

"Clint why- what's wrong?" Steve stumbled on his words. He walked closer towards us. As if I was an animal. "Y/n?" Bucky kept his distance. Staying a little bit away before sitting across me on the opposite couch.

"She won't talk to me..."

"Did you ask Friday too?"

"Yeah-" Natasha and Bruce walked in.

"Clint what- Y/n... what's going on?" Natasha softly spoke to me as she sat beside me.

"Did something trigger her?" Bruce asked.

"Friday said something about a call."

"Friday who called her?"

"It looks like a hospital located upstate." Then Tony and Peter.

"We were in the middle of-" Tony started before looking over at us.

"Y/n!" Peter interrupted immediately hugging me. "Are you okay? What happened, come on, talk to me please?"

"Should we give her some space?" Tony suggested. Everyone nodded and tried to move away slightly except Peter who clung to me. "Kid-"

"No." They didn't argue further. "Y/n... just one word, please? I'm worried, scared."

"She died."

"As in-" I nodded. ".... She wasn't just a friend was she?" I nodded.

"I loved her."

"You don't have to speak... Don't need to talk to me. Baby, I already know. The shadows in your head. They've got you down again. Got you feelin' low. But it's time to rest, now. Let it all melt now. Wipe your tears...." I was slowly able to sing alongside him.

"The sun's already set, now. Won't you go to sleep, now? I'll see you in your dreams. 'Cause I'm right here. Darlin', I'm right here. Close your pretty eyes, my butterfly. Baby, have no fear." He didn't know the rest of it but I did.

"The future's looking' bleak. Your will to live is weak. But honey, hold on for me. I know that you're an angel. But it's not your time to fly, now. We need you here on earth. Stay right here. I'll stay here with you, my dear. Look up to the sky and know.I am still alive. Because you want me to be."

I was given a note. Her final words... her thoughts...

"Remember, my dear. You're strong. You're loved. You're beautiful, so beautiful. And you belong here on Earth

I love you.."