15

"Why are you all out of breath and look like you have seen a ghost" Isabella shouted sitting up as her siblings all ran into her room, standing there in shock that isabella was awake then they all started cheering, hugs were exchanged. Isabella sat there looking at the out pour of love and celebration but not understanding why.

"Your alive" Amelia cheered pulling her sister in to a hug that she had missed for the last month.
"Yes im alive why wouldn't i be" Isabella asked confused at Amelia's comment.
"We just got a 9-1-1 page that means coding, which we thought meant you you" Amelia wipe her tears away not wantung her emotions to be seen "you were dieing but your alive" Amelia laughed happily.

Carolyn turned to her older children away from Isabella so she didnt hear, "she coded again, they were just about to call it" she whispered as the shephards looked a mixture of fear and overwhelming joy.

"Your alive" the restnof the shephards and Mark all shouted.
"Why did you think i was dieing?" Isabella softly and sympatheticly asked

"I havent had a chance to tell her" Carolyn explained.

"Tell me what" Isabella asked for clarification she was really confussed by everything, she woke up with a vent down jer throat, a room full of doctors, one holding panels, another looking at the clock above her head, her mum in the corner crying with a nurse comforting and her body ached.

"Isabella sweetie we were in a car accident" Carolyn started but she couldnt go on she started to get overwhelmed by all of her emotions. Isabella squeezed her mums hand reasurringly.

"You had surgery, 4 actually. Your aortic valve ruptured so you had an valve repair" derek started to explain.
"She doesn't understand the medical terms derek" Nancy firmly spoke.

"I do, an rupture is caused by trauma which was the car accident i assume and by the fact the i can only see 5 toes you had to amputate my leg due to the peice of door that went through it" Isabella showed them.

Her family looked at her in shock not because of her knowledge but because they didnt know how to tell her about her leg and know they were finding out she was possibly awake at some point in that car.

"How do you know that?" Amelia asked gently
"Once you were all out of the car, i woke up not for very long but long enough to see a piece of metal that should be in the door right through my foot, i tried to take it out when i pulled i hit something which caused immense pain down my side, there was glass in my side i pulled that out well tried too not sure if i did. The last thing i remember is looking at my hand and all I could see was blood couldnt even work out where my fingers were. So what esle happened?"

"Your foot got infected, the infection spread, you started to go septic so we amputated it was your life or the leg" Derek continued
"You made the right choice" Isabel smiled.
"You also had fluid on the brain and a blood clot which were removed in surgery and you had blood in the lung due to the glass also removed in surgery. You have had pneumonia which is way you had a ventilator and you have been in a coma for a month" derek filled her in.

"A month?" Isabella questioned for clarification
"Yes a month, a very long time, so long we made an end of life plan today well 10 minutes ago" Amelia blurted out.
"An end of life plan?"
"Yes" they spoke somberly.
"Im so sorry you had to do that" Isabella apologiesed.

Before they could say anything isabella suddenly remembered something well more like someone.
"Wheres connor?" Isabella asked with slight fear in her words.

"Well sweetie" Carolyn lead with as she moved from the chair to the edge of the bed.
Isabella could tell by the tone of her voice and facial expression that only one thing could had happeneded.
"Hes dead" isabella asked dead pan

"We are going to give you some space and sure theres some doctors to chase" Nancy explained as she heard all of the shephards out, so that all was left was their mum and isabella.

Isabella wasnt sure how to react, connor had put her through hell the last couple of years, she felt free that she could now do what she want without being told how much of a  disappointment she is she could now wear clothes that she liked not have to get changed till he found an outfit he liked. She was free but there was some sadness, he was her first love, first boyfriend and other firsts happened with him. She loved him hard, she was blinded by her love for a year and a half to see that Connors treatment of her wasnt out of love.

"Its okay to not be upset" Carolyn smiled, isabella was shocked at the comment as her mum was all for connor.
"Isabella im sorry that i didnt say anything about Connor" carolyn apologised.
"You have nothing to apologise for mum"
"Yes yes, i do, i didnt like him. I guessed the reason that Beth stopped coming around every night was because of him, i heard him shouting at you one evening because you had been texting Beth, he told you that he didnt like her and that meant you couldnt be friends with her anymore, you tried to reason
with her but he then resorted to name calling till you gave in. I wanted to run in and have a go at connor kick him out but i knew if i did that he would come back but this time it would be me he would isolate you from and i couldnt lose you so i allowed it to happen" Carolyn continued to apologise.

"Mum, hes dead' isabella spoke as the news was sinking in
"I know sweetie" Carolyn hugged her daughter.
"He could be nice you know. Very rarely but it did happen. We would have Harry potter marathons and he would come armed with snacks, we would talk about each film in detail afterwards. They were always my favourite" Isabella smiled at the memory as her mum just hugged her tighter.

Carolyn went to say something but a ping distracted them.
"What was that?" Isabella asked, Carolyn just smiled knowing exactly what it was.
"Your phone" she laughed "it does that at least 3 times a day. We didnt know your code so we couldnt see who was texting you" Carolyn explained as she hand Isabella the phone.

Carolyn sat there watching her daughters reaction to the texts, she knew who it was but the imediate smile and little giggles from her daughter just confirmed it. It was written all over her face and in her eyes something she had never seen on Isabella but on Derek when he sees Meredith.
She was so happy that her daughter was awake to know who had been waiting for her.