Chapter 12 -Wedding Jitters

Start from the beginning

Waliya turned and looked at her sarcastically. “No, that’s why I have you.”

Jade pulled tongue at Waliya and then took out her phone and put one of the latest songs on. It was one artist that Waliya recognized –Taylor Swift –not that Waliya liked her music.  The only reason that Waliya knew it was her, was because back in high school, she had absolutely adored Taylor Swift. But, that was way back when Waliya was seriously into music. She knew every lyric and every song –every week.

Music with her friends was one thing Waliya indulged in guiltily. She wasn’t supposed to do it, she wasn’t supposed to listen to it, but she did if her friends were around.  At times –often –people criticized her and judged her, but she wasn’t perfect. She was human, and Allah had designed humans to make mistakes. Both Jannah and Jahannum were designed for sinners. Jannah for the repentant sinner and Jahannum was designed for the arrogant sinner who did not repent.

As the beat slowly played, Waliya stood up and started packing. As sad and shameless as it was, the music gave Waliya the energy to carry on and finish up her packing. Once they got used to the lyrics, they started singing along, following Tina’s lead. When the next song came on, it was an old favourite of theirs. They partnered up and started dancing to song as they sung.

In the middle of the song, Waliya stops and falls to the floor clutching herself. “Oh gosh, oh gosh! It is three days before my wedding. I am going to be a married woman!” Waliya freaked out.

 The others just stopped, paused the music and listened. Jade, although she was averse to human contact, she kneeled down beside Waliya and rubbed small, soothing circles into her back. “Shh, sweetie,” Jade comforted her. “You can handle this.”

“Yes, Wals,” Asmaa said, butting in. “You are a natural homemaker,” she tried to relax Waliya.

“You have survived four years of law,” Tina said. “You survived countless of men hitting on you and making passes at you. You survived taunts, and cat-fights. What is marriage?”

“A formally recognized union between a man and woman, to the exclusion of all others for as long as it shall last,” Waliya paraphrased her law textbook definition. “Marriage is teamwork, it is difficult. It is sacrifice. It is a permanent and in most cases a lifelong decision to spend the rest of your life with someone. And Tina, if you were Muslim, it would continue on in Jannah if Allah wills it. That is why I always say that love is an eternal thing. It is a circle. You will always love, it doesn’t matter in what form. Marriage isn’t just about sharing the joys, but also the sadness. It’s sharing the burden to lighten the load. It is about being the equal half in almost everything –debts, sadness, worries and challenges. Marriage is a forever thing, Tina. ”

Tina smirked at Waliya. “So, can you love him forever?”

Waliya looked up at her with a dark look. “Duh. Why? Do you doubt me?”

“Never. Will you abandon him in his difficult times?” she continued prodding.

“By Allah’s Grace, I was not brought up a coward. So no, I will not leave him in his difficult times. Did you know that marriage is to be a pillar of support for your spouse?”

“Yes, Wals,” Asmaa sighed. “But we are not the ones with wedding jitters.”

Waliya looked shocked at them, then scoffed. “I do not have wedding jitters,” she said denying it. Her friends sat around her and sighed collectively.

“Sure,” Jade muttered sarcastically and then dusted her hands, taking the little dirt off them.

“So,” Asmaa said. “Will you be patient even if you want to pull your hair out and feel like kicking him because he is being so stubborn?”

Waliya scrunched up her eyes and pulled her face. “Is it that difficult?” she asked surprised. Tina and Jade just laughed at her.

“Honestly darling, it’s like you’ve never been in a relationship,” Jade laughed. Then, she quickly stopped, realizing her mistake. “Sorry,” she apologized.

“Boohoo,” Waliya muttered dejectedly. “So, I’ve never been in a relationship. It’s not a crime, you know? In fact, being in a relationship before marriage is a crime.”

“I said I was sorry,” Jade said.

“I know,” Waliya sighed. “I’m sorry. I am just nervous. I mean, I don’t even know what’s going to happen!”

Asmaa laughed. “I can help you with all that juicy details.”

Waliya held up both hands. “No thanks, I think I prefer learning on my own!” she practically screamed out nervously.

Asmaa laughed. “Wallah, Waliya, may Allah always keep you this pure, In Shaa Allah.”

“Ameen,” Waliya said bashfully.

“Well, Amen to that,” Jade said.

Not even a second later, Tina echoed it. “Amen.”

Waliya looked lost, despite being with her friends. “But what if he doesn’t like me after we are married?”

Asmaa laughed and then the others joined in. “Waliya, you are a princess, an angel, you are lovable. He won’t like you after marriage, he will love you.”

Tears fell from Waliya’s face as she stared at her friends. It was weird to witness the scene. One minute she was fearful to be married, yet on the other hand she was crying because the sweet words her friend told her. In a split second she engulfed Asmaa into a hug and cradled her against her chest. “Asmaa, Alhamdulillah for a beautiful friend like you. May Allah keep us together and make us neighbours in Jannah, In Shaa Allah,” Waliya said as a tear dropped.

Asmaa had tears in her eyes as she hugged Waliya tighter to herself. “Ameen, Wals.”

“What did you mean when you said ‘keep you together in Paradise’?” Tina questioned.

Asmaa wiped away Waliya’s tears as Jade passed her some tissues. “When you enter Jannah –Paradise –and you do not find the person you want there, you can ask Allah to allow that person to enter.”

Tina shrugged, as if she didn’t fully understand, but spoke nonetheless. “Makes sense, I suppose.”

Waliya smiled and then shook her head. “Of course it does,” she said smiling. “But honestly guys, thank you so much for being here with me. Especially since I am going on like a mad hatter!”

They laughed and then Asmaa left to get them something to drink. When she returned, they drink up and then finished packing the last of Waliya’s things. With bare walls staring at them, the girls found it hard to accept that Waliya was leaving. That this will no longer be her room. It looked bare without her little personalization and quirks stuck up to her pin board. “It’s official,” Tina commented softly.

They turned to face her, each face mirroring the other, all showing just one emotion: sadness. It was not the fact that she was getting married and they were going to lose her to her husband, but the fact that the baby of the group was growing up so fast, in fact, far too fast for their liking. It was, to them, as if everything in Waliya’s life had gone on fast forward since the end of their exams. One second she was a law graduate and the next second she was the bride-to-be. “It’s scarily official,” Waliya muttered.

Jade scoffed. “Thanks for being obvious,” she remarked. “However, Wals, great usage of words for a law graduate,” she teased.

Humour was the only way to ease the tension that hung thickly in the atmosphere.

“Wedding jitters is my excuse,” Waliya said drily.

“That is not going to work for a long time,” Jade smarted.

“Well, I’ll use it until it can’t work anymore. Now shush, and stop picking on me. I’m nervous as it is, without you adding on to it. I mean, it’s difficult enough to deal with the nerves. I can’t also think of smart comebacks too!”

Giggling, they laughed and hugged their unmarried friend for the last time.