12

"What was your relationship like with Marina?"

Natalia looked at the inspector "We were inseparable. I've know her for years. I didn't have a problem with her."

The inspector nodded and she continued "Witnesses say they saw you and Marina arguing in the corridor a couple of days before she passed away. What were you arguing about?"

Natalia shook her head "It was nothing. Marina was trying to push me away so that I wouldn't get involved in her pregnancy."

The inspector tilted her head "What did you think about her pregnancy?"

Natalia shrugged "I wasn't overjoyed but...she i- was my friend so I was supportive." The inspector nodded "Where you aware of who the father was?"

Natalia looked down "She told me it was Nano and that she wasn't going to tell Samuel. I thought he deserved to know that his brother slept with her but she still didn't want to tell him. She told me that she was going to run away with him."

The inspector wrote something on her paper and looked up "Did you spend the entire time at the party in the hall yesterday?"

Natalia nodded "Yeah, I was dancing with my boyfriend for the entire time. I didn't even need to go to the bathroom." The inspector frowned "Can he confirm that?" Natalia nodded "Yeah, he can."

The woman crossed her arms "We've been talking to a couple of people who have been at Las Encinas for a while and said that Guzmán was involved with the beating of a scholarship student. What do you know about Pablo?"

Natalia played with Marina's ring and looked up "All I know is that he was the reason that Marina had HIV. Guzmán was very protective of his sister and so he was very angry.

I found out that he had beaten him up in the locker room and I guess maybe that's why he hated the scholarship students when they first arrived. Because he thought that they'd take advantage of his sister like Pablo did."

The inspector put her hands on the table "I'm gonna let you in on a little secret.

I don't think you killed Marina, but I think you might be able to help me find out who did. Who do you think is capable of murdering your friend?"

Natalia looked at the inspector in the eyes and sighed "Well, I don't know who killed her but the only person I know who could have killed her in a fit of rage is Guzmán."

The inspector nodded and smiled "Thank you, Natalia. You can leave now."

Natalia stood up slowly and walked out of the room. She saw that her boyfriend was next to be talked two and kissed him on the cheek before he walked into the room.

***

Natalia walked into the Nunier household with her mother and sister and felt terrible when she saw Laura sitting on the sofa with her head in her hands.

Natalia walked over to her and sat down next to her. She put her hand on her knee and Laura looked up.

She smiled through her tears and gave her hug. "I'm glad you came. She would have wanted that." Natalia pulled away and smiled "I know."

Natalia showed Laura her hand and sighed "Marina gave me her ring before she died. I promised her I wouldn't take it off."

Laura touched her hand "It's beautiful." Natalia nodded and Laura shook her head "I wish I could see her."

She felt tears forming and she looked at her husband "Where's Marina. Why won't they  bring her body? I want to say goodbye."

Her husband caressed her shoulder "They need to perform an autopsy."

Laura raised her voice and stood up "I don't care! I want them to bring my daughter now!"

Everyone's eyes were on Laura and causing her to glare at everyone "What is it? What are you looking at?" Guzmán walked over to his mother and embraced her in a hug."

Natalia felt herself tear up and walked over to the bathroom. She closed the door and stared at herself in the mirror.

She felt broken. Like a piece of her was gone. Marina had been there for her when no one else was. When her parents had split up.

When she first had her heartbroken by a boy. And know that Marina was gone, she didn't think her life was worth anything anymore.

The door opened and in walked Tomás. He looked worried for Natalia as she cried her heart out. Tomás pulled her into a tight hug and he let Natalia cry into her shoulder.

***

Natalia anxiously waited for the inspector to walk into the room and arrest the killer.

Natalia failed to believe that someone in the same room as her was the murderer of her best friend.

She jumped when she saw the inspector walk out of the interrogation room and stood next to two officers.

She ordered them to follow her and she walked towards the group of teenagers.

Natalia felt her heart ache as they passed every person until they stopped in front of a person Natalia was least expecting expecting. Nano.

The inspector looked at Nano "it's him. You're under arrest for the murder of Marina Nunier. Hold him tight."

Nano's eyes widened as the two policemen grabbed onto his arms.

He then began to fight against them and screamed "What the fuck are you saying? What the hell are you saying? Look me in the face and say it again!"

Nano broke away from the policemen and ran over to Samuel, grabbing his face. "Samu! You know I'd never hurt Marina."

The policemen got ahold of him again and dragged him away.

Nano tried to talk to Samuel "You know I'd never hurt her Marina, Samu!"

Natalia stood up and watched Nano disappear around the corner and she let out a breath that she didn't realise she was holding.

Natalia held onto Tomás' hand tightly.

She knew that Nano didn't kill Marina. She could see in his eyes how much he loved her.

She knew that because of this, nothing would ever be the same again.

Natalia's funeral outfit: