twenty-three.

You walk in,
And my heart beats different.

To say Alec was mad would be an understatement. Two nights had passed and she hadn't showed up yet. He knew there was a possibility she wouldn't come at all, but he was so sure he would be able remind her of everything he buried those thoughts in the deepest parts of his mind.

Alec had dragged Jane to the training room. He was slashing at her with all his might as she dodged every attack skillfully and tried to fight back. She couldn't help but notice how much she has improved in fighting ever since she stopped counting on her powers only.

"Calm down would you?" She almost shouted as she dodged another big slash, "You're teaching me not killing me."

He straightened his stance and shrugged, "Sorry sister, but we have to be prepared for when they arrive."

The blonde girl rolled her eyes and grabbed his shoulders, "Brother, I understand you're worried about me, but I'm not a little girl needing you and Mel's protection anymore."

Alec let a small smile slip out, "You said her name."

She raised an eyebrow, "Huh?"

"Ever since she left she has been a taboo subject for you to talk about." Finally understanding what he was saying she pushed him playfully.

He put his hand on his ear as if he was waiting for a whisper and teased, "I didn't hear a denial!"

"I mean you are speaking the truth." She shrugged picking her dagger from the ground, "I guess having her back even if it was for those circumstances made me get used to her again."

Alec hummed in agreement, and they stayed in silence for a few minutes before Jane murmured hesitantly, "Do you think we are going to have to fight her."

He frowned, he hadn't thought about that, he knew he wouldn't be able to harm her and he believed neither did Jane, "I don't know, she was put in the same predicament as us when she witnessed for the Cullen's against us. So I think that when the time comes we should think like her instead of about her, we have to focus on being on the right side." Alec looked down at his sister again, "That's what she would have wanted us to do."

"I don't think I'll be able to-" This Was all he was able to get because Alec's mind suddenly snapped elsewhere, he didn't see her, he didn't smell her, but he sensed her, Alec didn't know how but he did. He looked at the door that leads to the guards' chambers and narrowed his eyes.

He started walking towards it and put his arm on his sister's shoulder and said distractingly, "I have to go." And just like that, he was out of the room. The closer he got to the room the more nervous he felt, and as he stood right in front of the door his hand warily on the doorknob. Millions of thoughts were going through his head, what if it was a trap? What if he was wrong and she wasn't there? What if- He shook his head and took an unneeded breath to clear his thoughts before opening the door.

======================================================

He closed the door not daring to turn around and be proved wrong.

"I'm getting annoyed, turn around, and let's get this over with." She whispered harshly.

Alec whipped around and almost smiled when he saw her standing next to his balcony, hands on her hips while tapping her foot on the ground.