19. THE FRIEND WHO WILL BETRAY

Start from the beginning

Caught in a lie.

What do I do?

"How do you know that, Ben?" he flinched at the nickname. "From what I can see, you don't know Vincent as personally as I do, how could you tell me that I'm not his cousin?"

He slams his hand on to the wall, he was towering over me. "Answer my question Valerie."

I look up to him with a confident gaze. "You seem quite nervous, is there something you're hiding Ben?" all I could notice was his anxious glance, he was definitely hiding something.

"What makes you think that?" his voice falters.

"You're going crazy because I said I'm Vincent's cousin, don't you think that's suspicious?"

-

third person
PERSPECTIVE

BENTLEY LOOKS AT VALERIE with concern. She had no idea what she was doing, this was her biggest mistake — lying to someone like Atlas was a huge mistake. And she had no clue, she had no clue that Atlas hated one thing the most in this world and it was a liar.

"So? Why are you acting like this? Don't tell me it's because you're scared Ben." there she goes again, using the very nickname Bentley adores, especially from her. His heart softens at the sound of his nickname.

Bentley knew one thing and it was that Atlas was already aware that Valerie lied to him.

"Please," Bentley whispers, holding her hand, just as lovingly a boy would do to his girlfriend. "V, go tell Atlas you lied."

Valerie felt her breath hitch at his words. "I'm not lying." she denies, causing Bentley to sigh.

"I know it may seem suspicious of me to act this way, but for your own good V, lying to Atlas is the worst thing a person could possibly do. And I already lost you once, I don't want Atlas to take you away from me again." Bentley's words were sincere, he wanted to protect Valerie, but for him to do so she has to be honest.

Bentley's words cause Valerie to stiffen. I don't want Atlas to take you away from me again, those are the exact words that Atlas was trying to imply. Atlas told her if Ben likes her, he would do anything to get her but once he stops liking her, he would do anything to get rid of her.

Valerie shrugs off Bentley's hand. She was afraid if Atlas was right, would Bentley get rid of her once he gets bored of her? No, she refuses to let that happen. She has a dream to accomplish.

"Please leave me alone Bentley, I don't want to talk to you."

Her words break Bentley's heart. His friend was pushing him away again.

"V, why are you doing this to me? I thought everything was okay with us, why do you have to be so hostile towards me? What exactly did I do wrong? All I've ever done was treated you with kindness." his eyes were filled with melancholy, yet the girl he spoke to couldn't shake off the rumours she heard about him.

"That's the problem with you Ben," she pushes him back gently, her eyes slightly softening at his heartbroken state. "You're too loving, too friendly, and too forgiving. I'm sick and tired of this, I'm sick and tired of you, so please could you leave me alone!"