But Elise got close.

Hell, despite the thorns, Elise got to know him for who he was, for who Hugo was, for who Hugo was in Elise's life.

For who Hugo was in Elise's life.

And Hugo was her first friend. Hugo was someone she had first trusted as a kid who was close to her age. No kids were ever close to Elise, they were afraid of her, but Hugo wasn't. Hugo even told her that he never regretted staying by her side.

Elise heard herself sobbing desperately. It all came at once. The pain, the desperation, the fear, the anger, the tired feeling deep inside her bones that had once wanted her to be buried on the ground like her parents.

She had once thought of stopping everything.

She once thought of stopping to swim for air, to stop breathing or to stop waking up to face her nightmares of reality, to stop crying, to stop sobbing, to stop everything and everyone.

Sh clawed her skin as her shoulders shook in pain.

Pain. Pain was good. Elise could feel her nails digging in her skin. It felt good. It felt as if she was grounded to reality.

And yet she was shaking. Her hands were covered in blood and they were shaking.

But it felt so good.

Elise cried and she cried and she cried for her friend.

Dear Elise,

I've found a blue flower growing by itself near my home. I had wanted to give it to you but knowing you, you can't even take care of yourself, how would you take care of a mere flower? You're an idiot.

I've taken care of it as it reminded me of you. I've even named it after you. You should be honored, you little tyke.

The flower is a fighter despite the harsh weather that it experienced, it keeps fighting, showing me off its beautiful petals to me like it's goading. The idiot. It reminds me of you, to be honest.

I've come to love it.

I hope you could visit soon, you idiot, so that I could show off this flower to you.

-Hugo

Elise remembered his words like a whisper in her ears, like a reminder of him. His voice, his smile, his words, they were all engraved in her head like a memory that couldn't be forgotten.

Why would she dare forget Hugo though?

Hugo was one of the biggest pieces of making Elise who she was now. Hugo was her brave anchor that keeps her grounded, he made her smile and laugh, he made her snark and bitch around without judging her.

He made her braver, more stronger and more confident. How would he just leave her like this?

He said that he'll fight. That he'll protect her, that he will fight for the sake of everyone.

He'll fight, he said he will. Elise saw the determination in his eyes and the reassuring smile plastered on his pretty face. His words were firm and unfaltering. It sounded true.

Did he lie?

Dear Elise,

That damn squirrel should better sleep with one eye open if he ever kills you in your sleep (but it's not like I'm believing that he could with how much of a brute you are.)