First Days of Training

Haru's (aka Lian) POV

I woke up early the next morning and got ready for my first day of training. I had some breakfast and did my teeth. I got dressed and put my hair in a bun. I exit my tent and feed Ebony & Khan. "Mushu, wake Mulan it is almost time for training" I tell him when I see him.

"Sure thing" he says and goes inside. I leave and head to the training grounds to see everyone else there. The soldier that was with the captain approaches me.

"Haru, I am Chen Honghui. Captain Li Shang's second in command. Where is Ping?" he asks me.

"I just woke him up sir, he should be here shortly" I assure him.

"Good, get in line with the others" he tells me and I do so. Soon Mulan joins us and next to Chien Po. While I am next to Ling.

"Looks like your friend slept in this morning" Ling tells me. "Why, hello, Ping. Are ya hungry?" he asks her.

"Yeah, cause I owe you a knuckle sandwich" Yao sneers glaring at her.

"Soldiers!" Captain Li Shang commands. We become quiet and stand to attention. "You will assemble swiftly and silently, every morning. Anyone who does otherwise, will answer to me or my second in command Honghui" he tells us.

He removes his shirt and I stare before looking away from him. Trying to fight back a blush, he is hot. Honghui also removed his own shirt and I notice Mulan staring at him. And smirk, someone has a crush.

"Ooh, tough guy" Yao says. Captain Shang pulls out a bow and arrow and aims it at Yao. Then shoots it at the top of a high wooden pole in the middle of the camp.

"Yao, thank you for volunteering" Honghui says with a smirk.

"Retrieve the arrow" Shang orders. Yao looks up at it and claps his hands rubbing them together as he approaches the pole.

"I'll get that arrow, pretty boys, and I'll do it with my shirt on" he states. He prepares to climb the wooden pole.

"One moment, you seem to be missing something" Honghui says smirking. He and Shang stand either side of Yao. They pull two giant medals on ribbons out of a box. "This represents disipline" he says tying one on Yao's right hand.

"And this represents strength" Shang adds tying the other medal to Yao's left hand. Yao falls to the ground under both of their weights. "You need both to reach the arrow" he declares. Yao gets to his feet and tries to climb the pole. As he started to fall he uses his teeth to try stop himself. I'm surprised he didn't break his teeth.

We each take turns trying to climb the pole. None of us make it. Ling and some others land on their face. While others landed on their butt. Mulan and I being one of them. Mulan had been the last to try and walks back to her spot rubbing her butt.

"We've got a long way to go" Honghui tells Shang, who nods his head in agreement.

"Does that mean you both can reach the arrow sir?" I ask curious.

"Sure can" Shang states. "Though Honghui only manage to do it once" he adds.

"Anyway, time for your next lesson" Honghui tells us. He grabs a bunch of wooden staffs and tossing them to half of us. I managed to catch mine. Shang tosses the others their staffs. Yao catches Mulan's and trips her with it before dropping it pretending like nothing had happened.

"Let's get down to business.To defeat the Huns" Shang sings as he destroys three pots Honghui tosses at him with his staff. We hold our staffs in front of us. But he has an amazing singing voice.

"Did they send me daughters.When I asked for sons" he sings. Mulan goes crazy and knocks us all down as she swung her staff wildly.

"You're the saddest bunchI ever met, but you can bet" Honghui sings as he pole vaults over to her. He grabs her shirt glaring at her."Before we're throughMister, I'll make a manOut of you" he sings.

We then practiced some archery. We had to hit an apple and the target with a single arrow. Honghui and Shang could do three at once. I think they just like showing off.

Honghui rejoins Shang and tosses rocks at him. As he balances a bucket of water on his head. "Tranquil as a forestBut on fire within.Once you find your center.You are sure to win" Shang sings. As he deflects the stones without dropping a drop of water. Honghui then demonstrates.

"You're a spineless, pale, pathetic lot.And you haven't got a clue.Somehow, we'll make a men out of you" Shang and Honghui sing together. As we each take turns with the bucket and rocks. Mulan managed to hit one sending it Honghui's way. He dodges it and it hits Chien Po's stomach. She gives him a guilty smile.

We then go to try catch fish with our bear hands. I nearly drown Yao as I'd grabbed his foot. Meanwhile I notice Mushu offers Mulan a fish. That night we had to dodge flaming arrows while sprinting across a field.

(Next day)

I woke up feeling exhausted. But got up as we have training again. The first thing we had to do is try to break bricks with our heads. None of us managed to do it. We then had spar with Shang or Honghui. Neither went easy on anyone and Mulan ended up with a black eye from Honghui. While I ended up with a bruised cheek from Shang, but I managed to land one hit before I was knocked down.

We then had to jump from pole to over a raging river. Most of of the others feel in, but I managed to do it. Guess having perfect balance comes in handy for some things. That night we then had to take turning firing cannons trying to hit a dummy. Some of us got close, but none of us hit it. Mulan managed to destroy Chi Fu's tent.

(Next day)

Today we are on a hike while carrying two bags of sand. Mulan and I were struggling the most. She even falls down and I turn back to her. "Come on Ping, get up" I groan. She tries and a someone appears next to me. It's Honghui and he takes her sand bags and leaves without saying a word.

I give her a sad smile and continue on. When we returned to camp. Honghui appears with Khan all tacked up. "You're unsuited for the rage of war.So pack up, go home, you're through.How could we make a man out of you?" he sings and walks away.

"Don't give up, fight" I tell Mulan.

"I have an idea, wish me luck" she states and leaves. I soon see a crowd gathering around the arrow pole. I approach to see Mulan climbing the pole with the medals wrapped around each other. I smile with pride as she reaches the top. She pulls out the arrow and tosses it down. He lands in front of Shang and Honghui as us soldiers cheer.

Everyone got better with training. We could all deflect stones and not drop any water. Broke bricks with our heads. Dodged flaming arrows and hit the dummy with the cannons. Each other us knocked Shang or Honghui on their butts during a sparing match. Things were great, but man did we stink. Mulan and I decide to have a bath in the lake one night. But things don't go quiet according to plan.

A/N

Picture above of the arrow in the pole and gif on the external link of Shang demonstrating how to use a wooden staff. Video above of the song.