mental (azula)

Hey guys! This is a request by @ZanyZz! "Can you do an Azula x reader where you were her best friend as kids and now she's in a ward being treated for her mental illness and reader is her caretaker?" 

I hope you enjoy it!

All characters are 18+. Minors DNI. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sound of laughter ran throughout the soft and luxuriant yard, tiny footsteps cascading down the gentle grass. You threw your head back and laughed loudly as Azula crashed into your side, tackling you to the ground.

"I have captured you, you weakling!" Azula screeched, making you gasp dramatically. 

You screamed a little more, laughing as you felt Azula's fingertips mingling with your skin. "I will not give in to your treason!!" 

"Then die a martyr!" Azula playfully took her fists and made a stabbing motion into your side, making the cut noise herself.  

"Oh no! I have lost my fight! Bleh!" You laid there, closing your eyes with your tongue sticking out to give away that you were "dead".  The performance was simply phenomenal. In fact, it was better than a Blockbuster performance, but back to reality. 

Azula smirked, standing up with a hand on her hip. She threw you a hand, keeping her gaze on you. Something about it felt off, colder. 

"You know, you really need to learn how to protect yourself, or else you're going to be blown to bits." You frowned, sighing with a nod. She always told you about how much you needed to protect yourself, how weak you were, but you still loved her nonetheless. 

Azula grabbed hold of your arm, making you look at her.  

"I mean it, I don't want you to perish like a weakling. I actually...care about you." Azula had a hard time expressing her feelings and you knew that, so you cut her some slack. If anything, you were happy she was expressing herself. 

You sighed, nodding with a gentle smile, "Azula, I'll be alright. I'm still learning the basics of fire bending so it'll take me a little bit before I get better." You grabbed her hand, smiling wider. "Let's forget about that right now. Come on, let's go have some fun!" 

You were among the few people that could make Azula crack a smile. Now, of course, her face always looked broken when it happened, but when it was with you, it was natural, gentle, soft. She was at ease with you, someone she could trust and be her true, genuine self with. She didn't have to worry about impressing you or seeking validation; she knew that as long as she had your validation, she was okay. 

As cruel as she could be sometimes, Azula truly did cherish you. Even at such a young age, you could tell that there was favoritism between Azula and Zuko. You could clearly remember a time when Azula came over to your house, furious. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day was warm and in full bloom, little buds and flowers peeking their heads out of the ends of the tree branches. You were sitting in your courtyard, playing with a small flower, braiding it into the crown you were making. Right as you were about to pluck another flower, Azula's footsteps caused an earthquake, startling you. 

You looked up in surprise, "Azula...? What...what are you doing here? Is everything-" 

"I hate him!" She screamed, cutting you off. 

"I hate him, I hate him, I hate him!" She screamed again whilst beginning to stomp the ground, killing all of the beautiful flowers that were siblings to the ones in your flower crown.