reunion (suki)

This is a request from @SteveHairHarrington2 : "This is just an idea but r was a part of the gaang but go their separate ways and kinda stay in touch but you go to the "opening" (like a party where they celebrate all of the work put into it and its made official) of republic city and you bump into Suki (characters are around 20-25?)"

I hope you enjoy!

(N/N)= your nickname

All characters are 18+! Minors DNI.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You would never forget the last day you saw Suki. 

It was probably the worst day of your life. You had just left to defeat the Firelord and his forces, barely making it out alive. You hadn't heard from her since she got onto the airship with Sokka and Toph. You had tried to look for her when the war was over, but to your surprise you couldn't find her anywhere. You couldn't find the gang anywhere. You had felt like a ghost in your own town, as if every time you spoke you were screaming at the top of your lungs and no one looked up. The panic you felt was unreal; trying to look for your girlfriend in the mass of a happy cheering crowd was quite ironic. 

Nonetheless, you still looked everywhere for her, even at night when no one could see. You were surprised that not even Toph had picked up on your panicked footsteps; you had hoped for so many nights that somewhere, she'd pick up on it. Your injuries prevented you from trying to look too far, as your left leg had been broken and left with a rather ugly looking scar—it cascaded down the back of your calf and just barely kissed your ankle. You hated it; all it did was remind you of the day that you lost Suki. You felt like an orphan, as if you had lost your parent and didn't know what your purpose was in life anymore.  

You remembered the smile that she gave you before you both parted ways—warm, sweet, concise. It made your knees give, legs shake roughly, and heart pound. You desperately wanted to go with her, but you needed to help Katara and Zuko take down Azula and ultimately, protect Aang. 

"Suki....please just let me come with you, I have a really bad feeling about this." You whimpered, clinging onto her hands, gripping them tightly. Suki frowned softly, her eyes tightening their gaze. "(Y/N), I'm sorry, but you have to be there with Katara and Zuko to make sure they're okay. We'll be alright. Azula is really strong and needs as many people as possible to help take her out." Your eyes filled with tears, but you quickly looked away, high up at the sky, blinking them away. Suki placed a warm hand on your cheek, frowning before pulling you into a hug. Simultaneously, you began to sob, shaking and quivering in her arms. She pressed a kiss to your forehead, rubbing your back before pulling away. 

Grabbing your face again, she wiped away your tears, smiling softly at you. "C'mon (Y/N), what do we do when we're sad?" You couldn't help but smile, letting out an airy giggle before responding. "We smile and kick ass." Suki giggled, "That's my girl." You smile and wrap your arms around her neck for a brief second, pecking her lips one last time. You had no idea you wouldn't feel them for another ten years.

"I'll see you after." You smiled, wiping away the straggler tears. Suki smiled back, and for a second you thought you could see the gloss in her eyes. She kissed you one last time before she pulled away, linking your pinkies together. "I'll see you after." She concluded, rushing away with Sokka and Toph. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ten. Years.

Ten painful years of not seeing your love. You missed her so badly, craving her comfort with such effort that it drained the life out of you. But life still goes on. 

You were now a prominent blacksmith, working in intense, hot conditions to get by. It was something you picked up whilst being with Suki... something that made the time go by quicker but also helped you to keep yourself safe. The more you knew about your weapons, the better. Even if you were an earth bender, you still made it your job to learn hand-on-hand combat. Suki trained you well. Nonetheless, you'd been working normally until it happened.