•| ⊱ THIRTY-FOUR

Start from the beginning

"Where?" Piper asked as soon as turned to look at the pair.

"That road," Jason said. "The one that goes through the hills."

Hermia watched as Piper picked up the com helmet the pilot had given her and relayed the question over the radio. The answer wasn't very exciting.

"She says it's Highway 24," Piper reported. "That's the Caldecott Tunnel. Why?"

Mia noticed Jason staring intently at the tunnel entrance, but he said nothing. It disappeared from view as they flew over downtown Oakland, but Jason still stared into the distance, his expression almost as unsettled as Piper's dad's.

Mia didn't know what was going on in his head, but she just pulled him closer to her and away from the doorway. He's eyes still had a faraway look to them, but he still managed to send her a small smile, while he rubbed her arm with his hand.

° • ° • °

Air traffic control didn't want to let an unscheduled helicopter land at the Oakland Airport-until Piper got on the radio. Then it turned out to be no problem. After uploading the tarmac, everyone looked at Piper. Hermia knew everyone wanted to know what her next plan was, but maybe she herself didn't know.

"What now?" Jason asked her.

Hermia could tell Piper felt uncomfortable. Who would want to be in charge of a quest anyway. Mia sure wouldn't. But she understood that Piper needed to do this, for herself and her father. There might not be a plan, yet. But Mia knew Piper would come up with something. Whatever plan Piper had, she needed to make it happen and fast. Today was the solstice. They had to save Hera. They had no idea where to go or if they were even too late.

"First thing," Piper said. "I-I have to get my dad home. I'm sorry, guys."

Their faces fell. But Mia understood Piper more than she knew. Hermia would always do the same thing Piper is doing. If it came down to it and she had to help her loved ones, Mia would stop at nothing until they were safe. If this was her and Hermia had a injured Lysander or Demetrius than she would want him away from any danger as soon as possible.

Mia smiled sadly as Piper as she placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I understand more than you think." Piper watched Mia with a sad look as Hermia took a deep breath. "If this is what you want to do, than I support you."

Piper smiled as she pulled Mia into a hug. Hermia was caught off guard, but she still returned the hug. "Thank you so much for your help, Mia. You really are a great friend."

They pulled away from each other as Mia send Piper a warm smile. Friend. It made Hermia happy to know that Piper saw her as a friend. Maybe now things will be different and her friends will start trusting her again.

From beside them Leo said, "Oh, I mean Mia's right, absolutely. He needs you right now. We can take it from here."

But Piper's father seemed to have other plans for his daughter. "Pipes, no." Her dad had been sitting in the helicopter doorway, a blanket around his shoulders. But he stumbled to his feet. "You have a mission. A quest. I can't-"

"I'll take care of him," said Coach Hedge.

Hermia looked over at Hedge. She was beyond surprised to see the satyr volunteering to take Piper's dad home. The satyr was the last person she'd expected to offer.

Piper and Mia shared a glanced. The girl's obviously thinking the same thing. "You?" Piper asked.

"I'm a protector," Gleeson said. "That's my job, not fighting."