Chapter 6. Inanna's

Robin showed Luci to the starry themed club, named simply Inanna's, but he refused to go inside and could only repeat his earlier warning.

She sent him back to The Lost Lagoon through the first raindrops of an autumnal afternoon and sauntered through the front door, alone. The bouncer looked up as she came into view. As it was still early in the afternoon it was only a cursory check. He'd clearly decided that the little lady wasn't going to cause trouble and Luci was hoping he was right.

The walls were midnight blue and shimmered with silvery light from the mirrored balls hanging from the rafters, mapping out constellations. Lower down, suspended between the stars, were thick metal rings, each about a foot across, which reflected the light further. 

There were a few patrons about, chatting quietly over afternoon drinks, and the barmaid was cleaning taps as Luci approached, ready to order a coke and let people pretend it was alcoholic if they felt the need to assume she was drinking. Apparently cleaning taps was a sign of boredom. The barmaid looked happier to be interrupted by a customer than was usual for service staff.

"Hi! I'm Lydia. What can I get you?"

Luci ordered and the coke came with a side of chattiness.

"So, are you here for this evening's show?"

"I'm looking for someone, honestly, though it's probably a long shot." Luci had been working out a cover story for why she'd be hunting down a stranger and Ron's comments on their similar looks had provided a solution. "It's my sister, Amber. She disappeared a couple of weeks ago, went off her meds and, well, I'd really like to find her. I remember her seeing this club advertised and talking about it for days, she wanted to see the starry sky indoors. I thought maybe she'd be here?"

Lydia had a concerned look, which seemed genuine. Luci tried to look at least a little desolate. Remembering the panic when she discovered her shield had been stolen helped with that.

"Do you have a pic of Amber I can see?" Lydia asked.

"No. Damn. She hates cameras, and I don't even know what name she'd be using, if she's hiding! She looks very much like me though, but prefers wearing green... I know it isn't a lot to go on but, if you've any ideas?"

"I don't, sorry," Lydia shook her head, "but you could ask the boss, Mr. Tam. He's prepping for the show but should be out in a bit."

Luci settled in for the duration and surveyed the venue, responding in the appropriate pauses as Lydia cleaned constantly and made small talk about the weather, the news, the planned show, old staff...

"... and I took over last year from a girl who went missing. 'course, I'm still learning the ropes so I didn't get her part in the main act..."

"Was that Robin' s sister?"

"Oh! How do you know Robin? He went berserk at Mr Tam, but Mr Tam blamed Robin. Actually, I think he still blames Robin..." Lydia looked worried, her hands going still on the glass she'd been polishing. "You might not want to mention him to Mr Tam."

Robin's refusal to enter was starting to make more sense.

Just then the indigo curtains flourished open enough for a dark, topless, muscled man who looked like he'd be more at home in the heat of the desert than the rainstorm settling in outside. His hair was braided back and his beard was impeccable, with silver and blue beads to match the dance tights he wore.

"That's Mr Tam, " whispered Lydia, "I'll be right back." She bounced over to her boss and he smiled softly at her in greeting as she chattered. He glanced up at Luci, spoke briefly, and then continued his examination of the equipment for the show. Lydia bounced back.

"He says he'll talk to you after the performance."

"OK, sure." Luci stood up. "What time will it finish?"

"Oh. Um." Lydia looked frustrated now. "No. He wants you to perform with him, as his assistant. He says, and I quote, "she looks like she's used to flying." and, well, he's not the kind of person who changes his mind."

Luci glared across the club at Mr Tam. There was no way she was getting on stage with anyone, let alone someone she hadn't even met yet. She began to stride toward him, the cheeky bastard, her fury rising at the assumption she'd just say yes! He raised his head from the ropes in his hands as she approached and met her eyes dead on.

Luci stopped, frozen to the spot. The club faded from view and he filled her vision.

A smile spread across his lips and his dark eyes began to glow like the embers of dying stars. The air around him shimmered as though he stood in a rich wheat field, swaying in a harvest tide breeze. A shadow of a scythe framed his figure.

The vision receded. And Luci bowed her head. His voice, rich like honey and edged with the rustle of death stole her breath for a moment.

"You'll fly for me, yes, little Valkyrie?"

"How could I not?" She responded, knowing his power for that of a fallen god. A once-god whose domain leant weight to her title as one of the chooser of the slain, a god of death. "It would be my honour."

And she meant it. He might not be her god of death and war, wisdom and magic, but Mr Tam had once been a god of the harvest, of slaying, and however far a god fell, they didn't forget. And the power did not forget them.