21

eve

"please come out tonight, eve." mia practically begs down the phone.

"i don't know." i sigh, staring at my makeup scattered across the table before me.

"please. i want to see you." she exhales, "i know he'll be there, but you don't need to pay attention to him, i just hate the thought of you sat at home alone tonight."

it's been a week since harry and i met up for a coffee and we haven't said a word to one another since. no calls, no messages, no nothing. i'm starting to think we could never come back from this which breaks my heart because i know he is the one, i felt it in my gut the moment i met him and those signs showed so early into our relationship. i could be the most vulnerable version of myself around him and still felt safe, i was his #1 cheerleader, motivating him and inspiring him to make more content, we spoke about our future's with one another in it, all until the arguments started a year ago. we just need to understand that love takes work and conflict arises, we couldn't compromise with one another because we didn't understand how we could argue and be in love. but now we do.

"hmm." i huff, "i dunno."

"please."

"who's coming?"

"me, will, gee, you - hopefully, harry, ethan and lux." she replies.

"no cal?" i question.

"don't think so."

"oh." i mutter.

"please, eve." she coo's, "you love mini golf and harry has said he doesn't mind if you come."

"fine, what time?" i ask sternly, glancing at my exhausted appearance in the mirror before me.

"7, so two hours."

"m'kay. meet you there."

"bye, see you soon." she exclaims joyfully as i end the call.

i begin to get ready, taking my time, dreading the evening ahead of us. i decide to play some music, attempting to lift up my spirits and relax as i find my body tensing up. standing in front of my wardrobe, i pick out a nice top and jeans and throw them on, my heart sinking to my stomach as time edges on. grabbing my things, i head out of the door and book an uber, folding my jacket around my body as i shiver slightly in the cold.

"eve!" mia yells excitedly as i get out of the uber, wrapping me in her warm embrace and swaying my body with hers.

"hi." i respond softly, pulling away from her to hug gee.

"you okay?" gee asks, offering me a sympathetic smile.

"yeah, yeah," i lie, "why wouldn't i be?"

"just checking." the three of us smile at one another before will wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"you good?" he looks down at me, rubbing my shoulder.

"mhm." i nod slowly, refusing to look up at him as i bite my lip, waiting for everyone else to arrive. i move my weight from one foot to the other, anxiously waiting for harry. and he arrives, with ethan and lux, noticeably tipsy, probably from consuming alcohol to calm his nerves - something i wish i had done before this. after being greeted by lux and ethan, i awkwardly look up at harry who stands in front of me.

"you alright?" he questions, locking eyes with me.

"yeah. are you?" i reply softly, a small smile forming across my lips as i attempt to appear as fine as possible.

"yeah." he nods, scratching his chest as we remain staring into one another's eyes.

"good." i sigh as we follow everyone inside. buying our drinks, we wait before we go onto the course and i already begin swiftly gulping down my drink, wanting to get another drink before we even start the game.