Crash

He was amongst the stars, space as some people may call it—a field of black-dark-blue, an eternal plane of madness and joy, the finality of God. The neverending darkness, the neverending light, and the neverending beauty. It is infinite in joy, wonder, and disappointment. Herbert Ulysses Mann was a pilot for the first scientific expedition out of our solar system. His ship was fitted with the first type of engine, which could warp space in front of him, move it behind him so that his ship could reach distant stars quicker (well, the ship would move at the same rate, just space would warp around him).

Along with Herbert was his crewmate Mathew Hue Gaurd. Together, they piloted the ship out of the system, to the orbit of Pluto. Their current destination was the star Alpha Centauri, currently the closest system to Earth. Though only God would know how it would cease to be so. Their ship was the Marco Polo XIII, as it was the thirteenth of its class—labeled MP-XIII. When they did reach Alpha Centauri, they would land on the first exoplanet, as they were prepared for any environment. Suits that could withstand acid, gravity over 80G, and the harshest of environments.

48.6 MILES OUTSIDE OF PLUTO: 8.4 YEARS AFTER DEPARTURE

When they had reached the edge of the solar system, all that stood between them and the first exoplanet gazed upon by man was the cold abyss of space (and the Oort Cloud, which I obliged myself not to mention—wait... nevermind). They awoke from vats curved to match the ground of the craft, meant to freeze the participant in stasis until awoken. Let me elaborate the ship and its details. It was trapezoidal-shaped with white paint coating the surface. Of course, some exceptions to this painting were made, such as the lines marking specific mechanics and entrances. The craft's body was very rigid and bumpy as all the machinery extruded for ease of access and space. Letters dotted the ship. At the front of the vessel, the corners curved and merged into a single point where the cockpit was held. Only there, on the bottom left and top right, were the letters: MP-XIII. On all sides, cargo containers were stored. Some of these containers, such as in the back, were for water. Certainly, they did not have a limited supply of water, as almost all were recycled from sweat, urine, and showers. Air was also not an issue. The solar panels lined across each container were constantly collecting electricity for the use of electrolysis to split water into hydrogen and oxygen gases, the hydrogen for sugars, and the oxygen for breathing. Most foods were stored in the interior on the ship's sides, while a small percentage was grown. Once they reached a planet (or moon) suitable for a small one-man colony, it would be settled, and the ship would return for further analysis. If no planet was found, they would return, and another mission would commence. The year was 2083, a century after the first Golden Age. Labeled the second Golden Age.

Their hair was wet from the water that laid inside the chamber. The ship's deck was in constant motion as its rotation created an artificial gravity that supported the crew's overall fitness. Pipes attached to their facial orifices, which were removed quite painfully as a tube that reached down their throat was pulled out. Herbert looked back at Matthew, who was struggling at pulling out the throat pipe. Finally, he was able to manage, and when he attempted to pull the nose plugs out, Herbert tried to help him, but he refused.

"I don't want to pull the ear pipes yet," Matthew said worryingly, "I need to pull the nose pipes out first."

"Why?" asked Herbert annoyingly, "I don't see the difference between the—"

"I just... just can't do that."

They stopped arguing at the matter and went about their re-awakening duties. They closed the chambers and powered all the electromechanical computers in the third deck (Deck 3). There were three computers: Inside pipes and maintenance, another for exterior maintenance such as thrusters and the warp-engine-mechanism (WEM), and a third for communications. Though the warp engine was actually inside, it still was managed by the third computer (CCU-1 - CCU-3).