04. THE HUMAN WORLD IS A MESS

2016 | HYDRA UNDERWATER BASE — Somewhere in the deep waters of New York, Siren quickly swam back to the hidden underwater base, where she was already expected to return

2016 | HYDRA UNDERWATER BASE — Somewhere in the deep waters of New York, Siren quickly swam back to the hidden underwater base, where she was already expected to return. The iron steel bars that were underwater opened and let her back in her grotto-like cell.

Out of fear the girl did not want to swim up to the surface in the first place, afraid they would hurt her, for failing the last mission. But she knew she'd suffer for it, if she didn't. And Siren didn't want to risk, getting the painful electric shocks in the water, still traumatized from the last time.

"I'm sorry.." she apologized, as soon as her head, her wavy red hair and her pale shoulders emerged  from the clear water surface. "There were attackers I-"

"Did someone see you?" The man wearing a dark uniform asked sternly. Something eerie lingered in Struckers gaze, something that could cause fear in the girl.

"I- I don't think so." she lied, nervously biting the inside of her cheek. "I'm not sure ... no one followed me."

"Did you hear something?" He asked with suspicion, since HYDRA gifted the girl with an enhanced hearing underwater.

"It sounded like ... like a rocket." She stuttered anxiously. Sometimes it was difficult for her to find the right words, sometimes she didn't even know what to say at all. For so many decades, the girl has been deprived of her freedom and it was hard for her to adapt. She had no idea what was going on above the water surface. "The sound scared me. It- it sounded like a threat."

"The human world is a dangerous mess, sweetheart." Said Strucker with a crooked grin. "They'd do much worse things to you, believe me. And that's exactly why you have to stay here with us ... with HYDRA. You're safe here, my child."

Siren only nodded, the girl was just thankful for not getting any brutal punishments for screwing up today's underwater-mission.

What Strucker and the others didn't tell her, however, was the fact that they already knew who was probably behind the alleged rocket noise behind it. They knew it had to be Iron-Man, because who else would have been after the precious treasure than S.H.I.E.L.D?

But just when the girl thought they would finally leave her alone, she wanted to sit down and peacefully get some rest on the side of her grotto that was in the cell to recover from the complicated dive. Or perhaps she just wanted to recover a little after this terrifying experience.

"Ah ... ah ... ah." Strucker interrupted her silence. "Apparently you're still to weak to engage in attacks, so we need to keep working on you to improve your skills..."

As soon as he finished the sentence, Siren immediately jumped back into the cold water and instinctively swam to the silver gate, hoping that it was still open.

She'd rather be out there completely alone and on her own, than letting HYDRA willingly experiment on her again. It was way more painful to get experimented on than to endure those silly electric shocks. They were willing to use and try anything if that resolved in success.

"Press the button!" Ordered Strucker, electrocuting  the water.

While the girl was at the gate. helplessly trying to break it open, she slowly felt a tingling sensation that flowed through her whole body. It started to get stronger and stronger and the tingling slowly became a hurting pinch.

Sadly this only lasted for a short time, because the next thing she felt was a horrible burning sensation that hurt her more and more. It felt like invisible fire dancing over her skin, that was punishing her.

She uttered a muffled scream at the horrible agony and wanted everything, but returning to that damn surface. She couldn't take the sight of these monsters anymore. The monsters in white lab coats and black combat.

She started to see blurry pictures, but this subsided after not too long as well. All she saw was a calming blue. She liked blue best. Her tired eyes finally closed and she was now surrounded by silence and darkness before everything went black before her beautiful ocean eyes, filled with tears...

The pain persisted, and neither did the agony and her guilt. Several people had suffered because of HYDRA and she had helped them, although involuntarily. No, she would rather die than be HYDRA's puppet once again.

She felt this inhuman pain until she suddenly felt an unknown numbness ... until she then felt absolutely nothing at all.

From then on she could hardly move and her eyes got heavier and heavier every second. She then started to see blurry images, but this also subsided after a short time.

All she saw was a calming ocean blue - she liked blue the best, it was her favorite color.

Her tired eyes finally closed and now she was completely surrounded by quiet silence and blissful darkness before everything went black in front of her. But she wasn't afraid anymore.

It was peaceful.