Chapter 45 - Heart Rate Challenge

Comincia dall'inizio

"A little bit last night, but nothing major," Charlie commented.

I leaned forward with my chin resting in my hand. "Well?"

"I've never seen the little guy so happy," he grinned. "Seriously. He's like a goddamn glowstick."

"Aw." I scooted over closer to him. "And how are you feeling?"

He saw me cast my bait but refused to bite. "I'm fine, a bit chilly."

"Charlie..."

"I'm feeling fantastic, of course. I've got the diamond of the villa by my side." He leaned over and planted a soft kiss on my cheek that he left for several seconds until I giggled shyly and pulled away.

"Goofball!" I yelled and grabbed my plate. "All done?" I held my hand out to take his plate.

"Yeah, I'll follow you in." Charlie grabbed his dishes and followed me inside the villa and into the kitchen. A group sat in silence around the kitchen table: Julie, Gray, Peach, Connor, and Anthony. "How are you guys doing today?"

"Good," Connor answered dryly. Peach and Gray glanced at each other from opposite corners of the table.

I placed my plate in the sink and gave it a quick rinse. "It's super quiet today. Are you guys okay?"

Peach squinted at me in confusion. "You guys didn't hear it?"

Charlie and I exchanged a brief look. "Hear what?" he asked.

Anthony placed his fork down on his plate with a soft clink. "There was this damn bird outside that wouldn't shut up. It sounded like it was right outside the doors, just screaming all night."

"That's awful," I frowned and looked over at Charlie. "I guess we're both heavy sleepers?"

"I guess we are," he confirmed.

"Then I pray neither of y'all has a house fire at night. You'd sleep right through the alarm," Anthony shook his head and rubbed sleep dust from his eyes. "I think Lucas tried to make it stop at one point... I don't really remember."

"No, you're right," Gray confirmed. "I distinctly remember Lucas saying 'I've got this!' and then he stepped outside and immediately got shat on." Peach laughed a quiet giggle that ended in a snort.

"Oh, that's right. He had to go take a shower," Julie nodded, then laid her head in her hands. "Can we declare this a nap day?"

"I second that motion," Connor smiled over at her warmly.

Mason jogged down the stairs and looked around our gloomy table. "You guys okay?"

"You slept through it, too?" Peach sneered.

Mason dipped his hands into his pockets. "Slept through what?"

-

Our challenge took place much later that day after the sun had set and the tiki torches were ablaze. The text came through to Julie's phone, who announced it proudly.

"Text!" She yelled and pranced around the garden. "I've got a text!"

"Well, read it then," Gray smiled as she approached.

"Islanders- who has got your heart beating? Tonight you'll be competing in the Heart Rate Challenge. The girls will be going first. #StrutYourStuff #WindAndGrind."

The girls, already familiar with the game, rushed up the stairs to put on their outfits. The boys, however, shuffled awkwardly around the grass, unsure of what was happening. I stayed behind to help them out.