Chapter 10 ~ Switch

Start from the beginning

Hannah starts listing off the pairs, Vixxie ends up with Brady and obviously Carrie with Ethan.

"Blaze, you're with me." She smiles up at him but he just stares ahead at the field, "And Grove you're with Scorowtski."

What? With Connor..?

I feel the dread set in as Hannah snarls.

I watch Scorowski beckons me down the line.

"Switch." I hear Blaze command, "Switch with Grove." He tells Hannah. Her face drops, mouth flailing open and Connor tries to protest. " Did I fucking stutter?" Blaze stalks closer to Connors still bruised face. "Blondie, up here with me." He gestures to the front of the line. Being the quarterback he always leads the run-out, usually along with Hannah. I look back at her face, crinkling with disgust.

I stand next to Blaze, unsure of what to say... good luck? Yeah, you say stuff like that right?

"Uh... good luck," I murmur, nearly inaudible over the ramped up crowd.

"I don't need luck." He grunts throwing his helmet onto his head.

I go back to look in front of me, the lion's mascot is in front of us ready to break through the banner we all run out. My legs shake and my breath becomes shallow.

It's going to be fine.

Just keep up with the count.

Extend.

And smile.

I take a deep breath in through my nose as the football coach counts down on his fingers, the mascot runs out into the field breaking the banner and the stands scream. The noise ten times louder then it was before.

"Good luck." Blaze mumbles, keeping his eyes on the field. Coach shouts at as and we start running. Slapping on a smile I wave to the crowds in a cheerleader fashion before going into a back handspring followed into a toe tuck and finish with a roundoff.

People are up in their seats chanting Blazes name, he waves in the middle of the field before the next couple come hurtling out of the tunnel.

Standing on the field is an amazing feeling, with everyone cheering and yelling. My body feels alive, buzzing with the energy that surrounds the arena. I've never been to a school event quite like it, I'm usually just cooped up in the library, revising but now I see what I've missed out on the last few years of my life. I just wish it could be like this every day.

I wish I could live with this feeling every day, free of the pain- Alive.

The Lions won and it's no surprise, they won by miles

The Lions won and it's no surprise, they won by miles. They work incredibly as a team, you wouldn't even know Connor and Blaze got into a fight a few weeks ago. Watching them is satisfying, they have every play memorised and perform it to T, working like clockwork. You couldn't tear your eyes from the field, especially not from Blaze.