Twenty-Three | The Letter

[ a/n : water bottle reveal at 1k followers to prove i take care of myself. /j ]
[ cw / briefly mentioned alcohol ]

KALEA JUST WATCHED AS TEAGAN PACED THE FLOOR OF HER APARTMENT. The guest had a humored smile on her lips and a wineglass in her hand, and she was about as relaxed as she possibly could be, the exact opposite of her stressed friend. She loved her best friend to bits, but she couldn't help the entertainment she got out of watching her fret.

"Already sent him my book. Can't do that," Teagan murmured, loud enough for Kalea to hear, but not exactly looking for an answer. She had her hand raised to her mouth, rubbing along her bottom lip unconsciously as she thought. "Poetry is... no. 'One poor sonnet will kill love stone dead.' Lizzie was definitely right with that one."

Kalea swallowed, pointing her finger excitedly at her friend. "Pride and Prejudice quote!" she cheered, outstandingly proud of herself for recognizing it. Teagan gave an unfocused nod, and Kalea pumped her fist. "Nice."

Teagan pushed her fingers through her hair, her agitation palpable. She wanted to do this right, more out of fear than anything. Of course, she wanted to get him something nice, but she also didn't want to ruin their entire friendship by awkwardly giving him something that had no meaning.

"Write him a damn letter or something, just stop pacing," Kalea grumbled, polishing off what was left in her glass.

Ignoring the first part of her sentence, Teagan huffed, sitting down on the edge of the couch. But then the beginning of Kalea's words registered, and Teagan was right back on her feet. "Kalea! You're a genius."

Kalea rolled her eyes. "I know I am. Can we watch Pride and Prejudice now? Or can I open my gift? I'm bored, and you're making me anxious."

Teagan paused in her rambling to glare at the girl relaxing on the couch. "You know you aren't allowed to open your gift until tomorrow. Christmas Eve has always been our day."

Kalea sighed, an affectionate smile on her lips. Leave it to Teagan to get so sentimental over a day of the week. "I know, I know, I was kidding. What are you on about over there? Something about me being brilliant?"

The comment snapped Teagan back to her previous line of thinking. She nodded excitedly, "A letter, K. Like, a genuine letter. Not just a note I could send him in a text. That's it!"

Kalea perked an eyebrow, a little bit surprised at the fact that Teagan thought she was a genius for suggesting something that seemed so obvious. "You... hadn't thought of that before?" she asked curiously. When Teagan shook her head, Kalea laughed. There was something sweet about the way that this boy was completely throwing Teagan off balance. She was usually so quick on her feet, so certain of everything when it came to her writing. "Man, you've got it bad," Kalea noted with a laugh.

Teagan sent her another glare, waving off her teasing with an annoyed huff. She wanted to think of a proper retort to her friend's chiding, but she suddenly remembered something that brought back all of her excitement. She let out a happy laugh, "Oh, you're about to think this is so lame."

Kalea's eyebrows furrowed, and she didn't move from her place on the couch as Teagan disappeared into her bedroom. There was audible rustling around, boxes being moved and hangers being pushed to the side. When Teagan returned, she had a small box in her hand, and she was holding it carefully upright. Kalea tilted her head. "What's that?"