Calendula

Calendula holds a meaning of "anticipated hope", but can also be linked to some darker ideas like death or despair.

---

Yuhare's PoV

I woke up to another bright day.

Though quite a boring day since my books are all left at home, and probably washed away by the tsunami.

There's a TV in my ward.

I switched it on and started watching the news, since I have no interest in those cheesy soap operas--though they're all postponed for now.

I've already learnt that this earthquake was a 9.0 magnitude one.

That came with a tsunami.

Like I've said, we're already lucky enough to be able to survive, and shouldn't ask for more.

I couldn't ask for more that everyone that's close to me are alive and healthy.

And then I saw myself on the screen.

"Sendai's 'Ice Princess', Akiyama Yuhare, has released a statement through the Japanese Skating Federation that she has an important announcement to make through her Coach, Abe Nanami, this afternoon in a press conference. It is said that Hanyu Yuzuru, her training mate,  would attend the conference as well."

An important announcement.

That would probably be like a bomb.

Since it's my retirement statement.

I was expected to be competing in seniors by the end of this year, since I'm turning 17 next month.

Along with Yuzuru who has moved to seniors last year.

We promised to go to Finals together.

They said we're the "Ice Prince and Princess".

They imagined us shining at Sochi Olympics together.

Everyone in Sendai has expected that.

And a lot of people in the country, too.

Fairytales aren't true, after all.

I picked up the newspapers next to me.

The same title.

Probably the day which I got the most attention in my life.

I don't hate anyone. It was my decision to save Yuzuru.

But that doesn't mean I'm not sad.

Skating has taken up an important part in my life, and now this part is suddenly dug out, I find myself empty from the inside.

What do I still have?

I look normal and cheerful on the outside, but inside I'm half dead.

They're all tired enough, and I shouldn't add more to their burden since they're already too worried.

I couldn't ask for more.

I shouldn't ask for more.

I'm not supposed to.

But I want to.

I'd die for a chance to skate again.

--

Yuzuru's PoV

I never knew sitting in a press conference could be that hard.

I have done so a couple of times before, but none of them make me feel as nervous as this.

I looked at Coach Nanami, and I could see her hands trembling below the desk.

If I had been more careful and not driven by fear...

I blinked and forced my tears back.

This is no place to cry.

This is broadcasted live to nearly the entire Japan.

"Good afternoon everyone, thank you for coming." Coach picked up her microphone.

The flashlights were nearly blinding me.

"Today's press conference would be
on behalf of my student Akiyama Yuhare."

I held on to Pooh-san's little hands.

I wasn't ready.

"We're sorry to announce that Yuhare would be retiring. She will withdraw from the national team."

I could hear the gasps.

"She is suffering from a serious injury in the earthquake, and can't skate anymore. For the details I'd leave them to Doctor Suzuki."

It's told.

She's retiring.

Because of me.

I squeezed my eyelids shut to prevent myself from crying.

But every time I close my eyes I see the collapsed house.

Every time I imagine myself skating I saw the ice cracking under my feet when I land.

And then the rink would collapse.

I could head the doctor explaining Yuhare's situation.

"Akiyama-san's spine was smashed by the falling debris, and the 5th and 6th section was damaged, destroying the nervous system for her lower body. That means she's paralysed from below her waist, and she will have to be in a wheelchair."

I just sat there without a word.

"Yuhare's condition is stable for now. She has woken up and is now making progress in recovery. We will have everyone updated once she turns better and is fit to meet the public."

"Is there any questions?"

"Excuse me, but how did Akiyama-san got hurt? Was she at the rink when the earthquake happened?"

Coach looked at me, since she wasn't there that day.

And I finally took the mic.

"I was with Yuhare that day. Both of us went to the rink despite it's our break day and Coach wasn't there. We experienced the earthquake when we were on ice, but Yuhare was caught in  a collapsing house when the two of us were on the way to the evacuation centre. "

It's hard to string the words together.

It's hard to let those moments replay in my brain.

I started to hear buzzes in my brain.

Like that day when I first knew that Yuhare is paralysed.

I couldn't see anything. I couldn't hear anything.

I just breathed heavily till all the reporters had left the room.

And let those tears flood out.