Past

Taylor Earhardt looked at herself in the full-length mirror in her bedroom. Her long blonde hair was tied back into a low ponytail. Her yellow western shirt was tucked into her blue jeans which were tucked into her light brown square-toed cowgirl boots.

"You ready, kiddo?" her father yelled from across the house.

"Yeah, Dad!" she yelled back. "Give me a second!"

"One!"

Taylor rolled her eyes with a grin as she grabbed her guitar case and her hat.

Samuel Earhardt was waiting in the car. "Where are you going with that guitar?" he asked as she set it in the backseat.

"Band practice after, remember?"

"And who are you expecting to take you to that?"

Taylor gave her dad her sweetest smile.

Samuel laughed. "So much like your mother."

—————————————————————

"Loud as thunder, fast as lightning!" the announcer's voice crackled over the loudspeakers. "Here comes the Queen of the Barrels herself, Taylor Earhardt with her American Quarter, Greased Lightnin'! She's the one to beat, folks! Let's see if she can beat her record!"

Taylor smiled and patted the buckskin horse's neck as he pranced around in anticipation. "I'm excited, too," she admitted.

She was given the signal, and they were off.

Taylor never thought while she was rounding the barrels. Instinct took over. It felt like she was flying.

After what seemed like both mere moments and long hours, Lightnin' was through, and she heard the announcer. "She did it again! 14.57 seconds! Great job, Taylor! And happy sweet sixteen!"

Taylor was smiling brightly as she dismounted and was ambushed immediately by her friends and coach.

"That was amazing, Tay!" Alyssa hugged her.

"You keep that up and you'll smash the championship," her coach smiled brightly.

"I cut it a little close with that last barrel," Taylor trailed off.

"Didn't look like it to me, baby," a voice came from behind her.

Taylor turned around with a huge grin. "Arthur!" She practically lunged at the boy. "You made it!"

Arthur caught her with a laugh. "You really think I'd miss your birthday, babygirl?"

—————————————————————

"Taylor," her father started as he parked the car.

"Hm?"

"I have something for you," he pulled out a small wrapped box and handed it to her.

Taylor opened it and gasped softly.

The necklace was gold with a close-knit chain and an almost heart shaped diamond encrusted pendant with gold wings.

She'd briefly worn it while filming "Unafraid" and loved every moment of it.

"Mom's necklace?" she asked softly, not looking away from the beautiful sight before her.

"You've more than earned it, kiddo," her father smiled. "Happy birthday."

—————————————————————

Taylor was putting her guitar back in its case after band practice in Polly's garage.

"You sounded great," Arthur wrapped his arms around her from behind and kissed her neck.

"You really think so?" she asked, turning around in his arms.

"Of course," he kissed her. "How about I prove it to you? Dinner and a movie at my house?"

"I'd have to ask my dad."

"You're always such a daddy's girl. Make your own decisions for once, baby."

"Just leave without telling him?"

"You're a big girl."

Taylor bit her lip, then nodded. "Let's go."

Arthur grinned.

—————————————————————

Trigger Warning! Skip if needed!

Taylor looked over at the clock. 2:23 A.M. stared back at her.

"I really should get home," she said.

"No," Arthur gave her an evil smile.

"Arthur," she scooted away. "You're scaring me."

"Come on, babygirl," he pinned her to the couch, and she screamed.

A/N
Three words.

I

Hate

Arthur

Anyone agree?

As always, R&R.

May the Power protect you!